1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

old wallpaper still pops up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by slickoe, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slickoe

slickoe Thread Starter

I had a risque wallpaper at one time; I succesfully replaced it but the old one still appears at initial startup. How can I rid myself of this beautiful creature?

Compaq deskpro, Win98se, 192 Meg RAM, Intel PII at 400 MHZ, 10G HD

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

You want to delete the "old" one and replace it with a "young" one, is that right? :D

Seriously, do you mean by initial startup that it appears and then disappears on it's own or it appears and then you turn it off?

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

Getting a little ahead of you here:
    Go to C:\windows in Explorer and sort by type. That will put all your bitmap images together. If you know the name of the offending paper you can delete it right there. If you don't know the name it may be a saved photo that may be Netscape.bmp or some other generic name. Open them, it's best if you have Irfanview or another editor, so you can open the first in line then just use the right arrow key to page through them till you hit the right one and delete it.

If it isn't there then use Start / Find and search for all bmp extension (use *.bmp in the search field) files and find it that way and delete it. There will be a ton of bmp files but that will be OK.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think I've seen this happen when "active desktop" was enabled. Right click on the desktop, select "active desktop" and make sure there is no check in "view as webpage".

5. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

If the previous remedies do not help try this.

Go to dis play>properties>web tab. Untick show web content and apply. THe offending Bmp wallpaper will show up. Go to background select none .Wallpaper dissapears.Back to web tab and t ick "show web content" OK.

6. Deke40

Deke40

RR is right if you don't want to use Active Desktop.

Here is the procedure if you want to get rid of the booting up wallpaper and keep the regular one and run Active Desktop.

If you are using Active Desktop you can actually set two wallpapers. They will come up as you described. Uncheck Active Desktop and select Properties\Background\None\Apply\Ok. Recheck Active Desktop and go through the same procedure and set your Wallpaper to what you want.

Most people are under the impression if you use AD it is a resource hog. I use it to hide my icons. If you don't actually use some form of weather strip or newsticker or such you will not use any extra resources.

PS-Just reread BB's post and it basically said the same thing I posted. Sorry BB.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice