1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

older games that wont load

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mirazh, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mirazh

Mirazh Thread Starter

I recently installed a few older games and they dont seem to want to run after installation. I've updated them with their patches but usually I get an error right after the initial screen saying it has encountered a problem and needs to close down.

These three games are Undying, Alice, and No one lives forever 1. They all seem to be closely related when they launch. I wonder what the deal could be... maybe I am missing something minor. I have the latest drivers for my vid card, and latest directx.

If you have any ideas let me know.

P4 3.0ghz, XP SP1, 1 gig ram, 6800GT

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    define 'older'. On thing you didn't mention is the compatibility mode. Switch to Windows 98 compatibility.

If these are DOS games, then you will need a DOS emulator.

3. haplo210

haplo210

If you need a dos emulator go for dosbox...its prettuy simple to use.

4. Mirazh

Mirazh Thread Starter

Aaaah no they arn't dos games. They came out around 2000 and 2001. They are compatible with ME and 2000. I tried doing the compatiblity mode in but that didn't work either.

5. Laurie52

Laurie52

Try uninstalling, reinstalling and reboot. Sometimes a file does not download properly or is missed. It happens.

Scan for any spyware.
    Sometimes their drivers will interfer with these older games.
    This is what happened with UnReal/UnReal Tournament and RUNE/Rune:Halls of Valhalla back in 2002. Both of these games came out in 2000 about the same time Alice did. A "NewDotNet" driver was interferring with both these games MP servers downloading. It affected the game engine somehow and giving players "fits" until an UnReal player figured out what happened. Then posted the findings in the Runegame.com forums (RUNE uses an Enhanced UnReal Engine)

As time went on. Some players would get an "error message" and the games would crash back to desktop. When a spyware scan was done and the stuff quarantined, this generally took care of the problem.

In my experience while admining the Runegame.com website, the past 5 years, these two suggestions seemed to do the most good.

6. Mirazh

Mirazh Thread Starter

Gawd I don't know.. i've installed reinstalled the game, directx, video drivers... even tested out the stuff on another computer. I did a spyscan today.. a couple came up and deleted, rebooted then the same thing wouldnt want to start. I'll probably just have to do a format. :(

7. Mirazh

Mirazh Thread Starter

One thing that i'm questioning is that I once had a ATI card in here and if for some reason these games are getting an impression i still have that card in there and don't run... that could be causing it. I've done everything I can do erase every trace of ATI on this puter. Only thing I can find now are a couple places in the registry where windows wont let me delete even in safe mode. But im working on that. :/

8. beanmaster1

beanmaster1

There you go. ATI's catalyst drivers (assuming here you have a radeon) have a mind numbingly stupid problem in the sense that it does not allow old games to run. Probably the regisstry has been messed up, usually in the directx part. Try to do a registry restore.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice