1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Older Gateway wont power up.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by buster1, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buster1

buster1 Thread Starter

I have an older Gateway desktop. After a quick power flicker in the house the desktop will not power on. I followed check list on gateway site and still will not power on. There is a green light lit on the mother board though. It has windows XP. There are no beeps or error messages. The power light does not come on, the fan doesn't run. There is only a green light lit on the mother board. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. PrariedogHearder

PrariedogHearder Banned

Make sure all connections are seated firmly in the desktop.Wires sound cards ram etc.

3. buster1

buster1 Thread Starter

All connections were checked. Also tried another power supply cord but no luck.

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If you have not already done so - remove any dust from inside the Pc - do not use a vacumm cleaner, too much static.
    Check that all fans are free of dust and will rotate.

Remove Ram - Video cards etc and then Reseat in the slots.
    If more than one Ram stick - use just one at a time, as a test.
    Try cleaning the copper connections to the Ram sticks with a pencil eraser.

5. Old_Tech

Old_Tech

I recently had a simular problem. I found that my power supply had gotten spiked and was no longer producing the 5volt that the computer needs. If you got a multi-meter. you can check the output voltages on your powersupply.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!