Older Gateway wont power up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

buster1

I have an older Gateway desktop. After a quick power flicker in the house the desktop will not power on. I followed check list on gateway site and still will not power on. There is a green light lit on the mother board though. It has windows XP. There are no beeps or error messages. The power light does not come on, the fan doesn't run. There is only a green light lit on the mother board. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

buster1

All connections were checked. Also tried another power supply cord but no luck.

blues_harp28

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you have not already done so - remove any dust from inside the Pc - do not use a vacumm cleaner, too much static.
Check that all fans are free of dust and will rotate.

Remove Ram - Video cards etc and then Reseat in the slots.
If more than one Ram stick - use just one at a time, as a test.
Try cleaning the copper connections to the Ram sticks with a pencil eraser.

I recently had a simular problem. I found that my power supply had gotten spiked and was no longer producing the 5volt that the computer needs. If you got a multi-meter. you can check the output voltages on your powersupply.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online