1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Older laptop screen issue (black verticle bar)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by imahelpneeder, Feb 9, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. imahelpneeder

imahelpneeder Thread Starter

Need some laptop repair guidance on a 2006-era HP. Now don't laugh, as this beast holds sentimental value!

The laptop in question is a HP Pavilion dv8000t series which originally harbored XP and had been upgraded over the years even to the point of W10 Professional. This is a 17-incher and it was/is used to run several standalone programs and not really any serious online activity (although it is fully protected). The issue I'm stuck with is a screen malfunction.

Recently I turned the system on and all was well. At some point I decided to check for Windows updates and ran through the process of several updates (as was a general practice). After allowing the updates to install a Restart was required, which I did. When the system rebooted the screen was whacked. The left side of the screen had a verticle black segment (top to bottom) 2-1/2 inches wide. (see attachment) My first thought was MS hosed the graphics driver but this is a hardware issue as the anomaly is present even in the BIOS and I have a normal screen with an external monitor connected. Seems to just be incredibly bad timing. To further describe the situation, the blackened portion is very crisp (no fading at the edge) and the Desktop DOES exist UNDER the blackened area. I was able, through trial and error, to drag everything into view and now have windows resized to make use of the limited screen left available. Of course any new Desktop items get placed under the "black" and I have to go fishing to retrieve them. That's the short of it.

I spent a great deal of time researching this but most of what I could find didn't seem relevant. The one item that did catch my eye was the possibility of a bad (and very small) screen cable which could have weakened over time from opening and closing the lid. I guess this is the confirmation I'm looking for, that this cable could be the culprit and produce this sort of maligned behavior. I have had the laptop opened up and identified the cable and I guess I would be willing to give that a shot if it would salvage the day, assuming I could locate a replacement. Given how the laptop is used an external monitor is not an option. Any definitive thoughts? (I didn't feel a need for the Sysinfo utility.) Thanks in advance...

Attached Files:

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    As a test with no windows open and just the Desktop displayed make a ScreenShot (SS) by pressing the Print Screen key, open Paint then press Ctrl+V keys, save the SS as a .PNG file then attach it to your next reply please.

If the SS also shows the black area the graphics circuitry is the cause, if not it could be the cable or the screen itself.

3. imahelpneeder

Here's the requested shot (although I did use the Snipping Tool) apparently showing the DT in it's entirety. Appreciate your input.

Attached Files:

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Is that how your Desktop normally looks ?

The good news is the problem is not the graphics circuitry.

You could try a new cable from motherboard to screen, I would check the the present cable and it's connections at both ends first though.

5. imahelpneeder

Given how I have had to rearrange things, yes, this is the DT... as it should be sans the black bar. (I do have some icons obliterated however.)

I guess I'll take any "good news" coming my way. Thanks for that!

At this point then I'll try to find the time to tear into it again and double-check that cable for starters. Truly appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome and good luck with the cable.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice