1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Older machine doesn't recognise USB port

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tshabani, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tshabani

tshabani Thread Starter

Hi, I am upgrading my partner's comp and I'm having a problem with the USB port. It's an older model (Pentium II) laptop that came with a USB port, but it has never been properly installed. I get a message that reads "This device has been disabled because the BIOS for the device did not give it an IRQ. Code 29" The comp came w/ Win 95 installed and I have just upgraded to '98. How do I get it to recognise USB? Thanks.

2. dud

dud Guest

There are a couple of things you could check in the bios.
    Make sure USB is actually enabled and also check to see if an irq has been allocated. It can be enabled or disabled if I recall.

:cool:

3. tshabani

tshabani Thread Starter

The main problem is that I don't know how to check the BIOS to see if it is enabled or disabled.

4. dud

dud Guest

OK.. turn off the pc and then reboot it. As soon as the first POST screen starts displaying (where it tells you what memory you have etc) look at the bottom of the screen and it should tell you there which key to press to enter set up (which is the bios). It might be the F1 or F2 or a combination of different keys.
    On mine it is the Delete key. Start pressing it as soon as possible. You might have to reboot again and start pressing it straight away because you can miss it!
    When your BIOS screen displays you can navigate around it using the Tab key and the arrow keys. Go to the Advanced Chipset menu and make sure 'Onchip (or Onboard etc) USB' is set to Enabled. You can change the setting of something by using the Page Up and Page Down keys.
    Once that is Enabled press the Escape key and then got 'PnP/PCI Configuration' and make sure 'Assign IRQ for USB' is enabled.
    Press Escape again then got to Exit and save Changes, press enter and confirm with a 'Y' and the PC will carry on booting as normal. If that doesn't cure it, then the problem is something else altogether...:)
    Be careful not to change any other settings in the bios as it could have an adverse effect!
    Also, most BIOS are very similar. It could be that your's is differently laid out or worded to how I have described above. Common sense should prevail but if you're not sure then please check first.
    HTH

5. tshabani

tshabani Thread Starter

I've enabled the USB, but I can't find PnP/PCI configuration. When I hit escape, it just takes me to the exit screen. I've looked through every choice in the BIOS screen, and "Assign IRQ for USB" is nowhere to be found.

6. dud

dud Guest

What happens when you boot and try the usb now that it's enabled in bios? It could be that just by enabling it the IRQ will be automatically assigned.

7. tshabani

tshabani Thread Starter

I get a message that says, "This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. code 10" I have reinstalled the driver and it still doesn't work.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice