Older printer connected to network

KrisK91

I have a older style printer/fax machine (Brother MFC 8820d) and I am trying to hook it up to my network so that I can print to it wirelessly. Is this possible to do? I do not have a computer nearby so hooking it up via USB really isn't an easy option. I also do not have a router with a USB port on it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

cwwozniak

Chuck
RustyBl0ck, I deleted your one word post as it did not contribute to the discussion. Please refrain from making any more such posts.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Do a search for wireless network print server. It would appear that printer has USB and parallel ports, so take your pick.

KrisK91

Can someone point me in the direction to set up this printer wirelessly?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
That's a very old printer that goes back to the pre-Windows XP days.
From what I can determine, it's not capable of being set up with a wireless connection.

-------------------------------------------------

TerryNet

Terry
Can someone point me in the direction to set up this printer wirelessly?
Mark did--in his post about 3 hours before yours! In case you don't understand "Do a search" it means to open a web browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari, etc.) and use a search engine (Bing, Yahoo!, Google, etc.).

plodr

Liz
How do you expect to hook up that printer to your network IF a) you don't have a computer close to the printer and b) you don't have a USB port on your router?

I had a printer from 2003 hooked up to an old print server. Eventually that died. I now have the printer connected to one computer and when the computer is on, all other Windows computers can print to it.
(In fact my husband just printed 2 things from his Win 7 laptop to the printer this morning.)

Possibly buy a print server? This is an example. Read reviews before you buy anything.
https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-1-Port-Print-Server-GPSU21/dp/B000FW60FW

Note I've never used a USB print server, mine was the old parallel printer port to ethernet.

Last edited:
Actually, if this printer has a USB connection, the solution is rather easy. Get a Raspberry Pi. You can then share the printer on your network and everyone can print to it. You can even stick the Pi to the printer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online