Older programs and software Compatibility

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kittifaye

My HP Pavilion Desktop PC is 7 months old, WINDOWS XP. Printer is Deskjet 5650 with parallel port connection. (This is because I bought the printer to use with my previous Windows 98 older PC that didn't have a USB connection.) Here's my question: Will it be possible for me to install and use an older Mustek 600 III EP PLUS FLATBED SCANNER with my current system?
I inherited this hand-me-down Scanner and can't afford to buy new one.

I figure I should post in this forum; installation problem (or so it seems). The installation CD is out-dated as far as drivers and software issues, and rendered a corrupt installation. I uninstalled by Add/Remove and deleted Xerox in Registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE as was instructed from the Mustek Help Site. I also ran "search" for files on my PC...Twain and Tw-something but none were there to delete.

I tried to install manually, but get no response from scanner. I removed printer and connected Scanner directly to PC. I went to the BIOS to enable
EPP mode as instructed by Microsoft Help Site. Then the HP Help Site tells me to set mode to ECP? Who is correct? I tried to install using the Compatibility Wizard to make older programs work with newer systems and it failed. I tried installing in SAFE MODE, but nothing there either.

I went to Mustek Site and downloaded drivers for my specific system which was Web.something and Web02. Still no luck. I went to Driverguide.com and found several compatible drivers that were all "zip files". I am totally clueless, but installed a zip program when prompted to do so. It's there, but I have no idea how to use it to unzip whatever's necessary. The zipped drivers that took some time to download and save are hiding somewhere; can't find them. I found a whole page with new folder and files that are related to this Scanner, but cannot open any of them. Is this because of zipped driver files?

I'm not even sure that the Elder Scanner (LOL) is getting any juice. However when my printer is connected to the scanner, and scanner is connected to PC...the printer works just fine as always.

I'm sorry about the long post, but needed to let you guys know all the options I have tried already, and not have to repeat procedures that didn't work the first time. Any help or advise will certainly be appreciated.

kittifaye

Thanks, kittifaye

I

telecom69

Gone but never forgotten

kittifaye

Telecom thanks for your help. I tried everything you suggested!! Still having probs, but probably due to the long post, you are the only one so far that responded. Maybe I need to post in the imaging group, you think?? I'm still newbie, ok?

telecom69

Gone but never forgotten
If you click on the little red triangle to the top right (of YOUR ) last post,you can ask the moderators to move it for you ......

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
First off, daisy chaining devices on the parallel port is frequently a problem, that may be a continuing issue even if you get the correct drivers installed.

I did a search around the web, and I see many people complaining that they can't get that scanner running with XP, so this may be a continuing battle.

FWIW, new scanners are really pretty cheap, I found this one on www.pricewatch.com for $32 shipped. A USB scanner would solve the problem of daisy chaining the parallel port and the XP drivers in one shot. :)

PS: I've moved your post to XP, since you're trying to get this working on XP.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I didn't research the scanner, but, per chance does it have a "SCSI" connector on the back in addition to the parallel port?

crjdriver

I have spent many hours trying to get an old parallel port scanner working under xp or win2k. Believe me it is not worth the time; as John posted usb scanners are pretty cheap.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
They are hard enough to get working with 98 :D especially the pass thru part. I had an old Mustek...I gave it away...but it had a SCSI port and SCSI card too. Never tried to get it to work with anything other than 95 and 98.

kittifaye

Thanks to all. I still am working with it...like I mentioned earlier I really can't afford to buy ANYTHING at this time, is why I keep trying to make this one work. Also my hp deskjet printer has parallel connection and it works just fine. It does however have a USB port on back of it. This means I would have to buy a different cable for USB and the cable costs like $30 at Circuit City.

OK I just now checked the back of my PC tower and it has a smaller "connect port" beside the parallel printer port that says "serial". Is that my USB port?

So if I were to buy a new scanner that most likely will have a USB connect, then buy a USB cable for my printer...we're looking at maybe $65 or $70. Whew, would it not be just as economical to buy the printer-scanner-copier all in one? I'm pretty sure I saw one at WalMart's for $74.95. There might even be less expensive ones. Tell me what you guys think. I do have a birthday coming up and family has already asked what I want.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Scanners are coming down in price all the time. A few weeks ago, I saw one at OfficeMax for $4.99 after rebates :eek:

Daisy chaining....plugging one device into the other device, and then another device into that one, etc. etc.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You can get a cable for less than $30. Look around at your local flea markets. I've picked them up for 50 cents to a $1.

kittifaye

Wow, a scanner for $4.99! We don't have Office Max here, though...just Office Depot and Circuit City. WalMarts of course.

Thanks for everyone's help. As of today, I have given up on the Elder Mustek and will check around for prices on new scanners. Do most new scanners come with USB connection? And will I need to buy a cable or does it usually come with the scanner?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Most scanners come with all the cables. Check to be sure though as that can raise your price. The cable probably retails for around $10.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts