1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Older Sata drive to replace newer with different OS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lbriteyes, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbriteyes

lbriteyes Thread Starter

I bought a new(er) Dell from their auction site. Its an Optiplex 760 SFF. It came equipped with Windows Vista Business. I saved my older 320 Western Digital from my older computer. It has Windows XP on it. It does work, has been working on a different computer as a SATA to USB drive. The Optiplex had an 80 Seagate SATA.

I did a straight out trade of the drives. Optiplex BIOS does recognize the drive. It won't, however, boot into XP. At this point, the Seagate is completely disconnected.

What do I need to do to make this work?

Thanks.

Linda

2. C141

C141

You need to do a clean install of Windows XP. You can't just take a drive out of one computer, install into another & expect it to run.

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Before you do the install download all of the drivers needed from another working computer if you have one for that model from the dell website. its listed under support drivers and downloads.and yes there is xp drivers available for that model if you wish to have it.save them to a cd so that you will have them when needed again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice