1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Older Sony Flat Screen TV Annoyance ???

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by BearKiller, Mar 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BearKiller

BearKiller Thread Starter

I Google-searched this to no avail.

My mother (way up in years) has a Sony flat-screen TV (I think it says "Bravia" but don't hold me to that).

This is not a "smart" TV, in that it has no Ethernet nor wireless connectivity.

She bought this in 2012, as best she can remember; and, ever since day one, regardless of whether watching TV or DVD/VHS, there is a very annoying strip of icons that continuously appears, sometimes at the top, sometimes at the bottom, and sometimes both.

This strip of about six icons covers about 20% of the screen.

She can make it go away only for a moment by pressing a "return" button on the remote; it will reappear in less than a minute.

I have done everything short of throwing a brick through the screen, yet I cannot make this annoyance cease to keep reappearing.

She just constantly keeps the remote in hand; and, when the strip appears, she presses the "return" button.

Why she didn't address this years ago is beyond me.

Does anyone know a solution ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

2. BearKiller

I may have found a solution, but I won't know for certain until I can get back to her house and check it out.

According to my findings, the TV is in "Demo" mode; to get rid of this Demo mode, one must find a "menu" button on the side of the TV, and press and hold it for ten-plus seconds, until a message appears saying demo off.

Once I finally worded my search correctly, I found that it is a very popular complaint with Sony TVs.

I tried to walk her through this on the phone, but one would have thought I was trying to teach her calculus in one easy lesson .....

3. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

If it looks like this 40" Sony KDL40X3500, the Menu button is on the back left side of the TV down at the bottom.

bearkiller_20180318_01.jpg

4. BearKiller

Thanks: I will check it out when I am next at her house, probably early this week. The picture is a big help.

5. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

You're welcome.

6. BearKiller

Mission Accomplished !
    On her TV, instead of saying "Menu" it said "Home" ; when I first pressed "Home", the screen said "this feature is not available etc., etc."; I just kept holding the button; and, in a few seconds, the screen said "Demo Mode: Off"
    I watched it for about half-an-hour and did not see the annoyance pop up, so I am going to mark it Case Closed.

Thanks.

7. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Excellent! (y)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1206914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice