1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Older style (if there's such a thing) 2.5" to 3.5" IDE Adapter questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Serge_N_Gin, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin Thread Starter

I picked up this old Desktop PC for $10 and have problems with the installed laptop Hard Drive failing at bootup. It was working fine last night and I think it might be the 2.5" to 3.5" 44 Pin (female) to 40 Pin (male) adapter.

What I'd like to know is can I just go ahead and buy a replacement even if it looks totally different to mine ?

Or is the HD too old by todays standards and I really need to hunt down an older style 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter like the one in the pics?

Also, could I test out this adapter and HD in my 4 yr old PC or would it be a very bad idea to connect such an old adapter/HD to a newer motherboard?

[​IMG]
    2.5" IDE with side brackets.

[​IMG]
    2.5" IDE Female 44 Pin side

[​IMG]
    3.5" IDE Male 40 Pin side

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I've used these adapters for many years and I can't imagine what could go wrong or wear out about a laptop-to-desktop hard disk adapter. There is no "circuitry" in it to speak of that can wear out or go bad as long as it is connected correctly. It's just a pass-through that rearranges the connections to fit the tighter arrangement of the pins on a laptop hard disk.

There is one way you can ruin an adapter and the disk you connect it to if it isn't aligned properly with the pins on the drive. If you shift it to the left or right and miss two of the pins, you can ruin the drive and the adapter; but, that is the only way I have seen this happen. If you haven't disconnected and reconnected the adapter, there is no chance of that.

Laptop-to-desktop adapters are all electrically the same so I would say you could easily swap the adapter for one that looks different.

In short, the problem is not the adapter. It is either in your motherboard or the disk--provided you have not misconnected the adapter.

If it turns out you need a hard disk, a desktop disk is cheaper and eliminates the need for the adapter.

http://www.txmicro.com/Maxtor-D540X-60GB-UDMA-100-5400RPM-IDE-HDD-p-1308.html

3. Serge_N_Gin

Serge_N_Gin Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your excellent answer to my thread Alex.

Funny thing but the drive was working fine the night before ... I ran a maintenance task to clean up the disc and closed it down, then this morning there's this disc error.

Also I think I have misconnected the adapter but the PC was still operating fine last night so I think I'll put this one down to experience and as it's very old and there's no way I'm spending much if any money on fixing it, I will just toss it.

Once again thank you for answering my questions and addressing the exact question I most wanted an answer for.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650083

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice