1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Older Toshiba Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drifter47tx, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drifter47tx

drifter47tx Thread Starter

I have a toshiba laptop Tectra 720 CDT. Can anyone tell me how to get into the BIOS when first booting up? I would like to install Win98 but I can't get the CD to boot up. Thanks

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

There are three general ways to access the BIOS of a Toshiba Laptop:

When you power up, hold down the Escape key, you're asked to press F1.
    You can click on Start -> Programs and locate your Toshiba Utilities and Click on Hardware Setup Options.
    If this cannot be found under Programs, the utility may be hidden and placed in your Control Panel for security purposes. Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel and click on Toshiba Hardware Setup or H W Setup.
    You may also be able to access the Setup by going to your MS DOS Prompt and type C:\> Tsetup.

Cut and paste from here:

http://www.cardscan.com/techdocs/laptop/71002.asp

3. drifter47tx

I cleared my harddrive on my Toshiba Tectra 720 CDT laptop. I need to reinstall Win98 but I can't get the disc to load, I keep getting the message Missing Operating System. How do I get the Win98 disc to load?
    Thanks

4. ~Candy~

Did you set the boot order to cdrom first? What does the top of the Win98 cd say?

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You need a bootable floppy with the Tsetup program on it

6. drifter47tx

It won't let me change the boot order, or I'm not doing it right one. I don't have a floppy on this laptop.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Whoops! I think you'll have to take the drive out and get the BIOS setup files put on the hard disk along with boot files.

8. ~Candy~

What do you mean it won't let you change the boot order....are you using the up down arrow keys? Sometimes you have to get to the line and press enter to highlight it.....experiment around.

9. drifter47tx

I can change the boot sequence from HDD-FDD. I've tried it both ways, HDD-FDD and FDD-HDD but it still won't boot up the Win98 cd.

10. ~Candy~

Then you don't have the option in your bios to boot from the cdrom. Since you don't have a floppy drive, I think you're pretty much SOL unless you can get your hands on one.

I'm guessing that if you boot to a c: prompt, you can't change to the d: drive? Or can you even get to a c: prompt? How did you 'clear' your hard drive????

11. rmay635703

rmay635703

When I ran into this problem I took the IDE hard drive out and bought a $3.99 laptop ide -> desktop ide hard drive adapter put the laptop ide drive in my desktop machine, formatted it and sys'd it on the desktop, dropped the win98 directory off the cd-rom to the drive and put it back into the laptop and installed off the hd.

Good Luck

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice