1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

oldest peice of junk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xtreampb, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xtreampb

xtreampb Thread Starter

i think that i have the oldest HDD. it is bout 5 inch. thick. it is as long as the reg HDDs. what do yall think i am going to try to take a pic and post it up here.

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

I got one of those! 6 GIGABYTES! A real speed demon!

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think there are lots of older drives around. I have an old 5 megabyte Seagate drive in one of my boxes here, full high 5.25" drive.

4. Leec65

Leec65

a friend had one in a HP it was a maxtor called now, don't laugh "big foot"

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah, a quantum bigfoot. I had one until I trashed it. I still worked fine but it was slow and huge. It also sounded like a tractor.

I wiped it, beat it with a hammer, and sent it to the landfill. The thing was at least 5 inches wide and 8 inches long. In it's day it was a beast. ;)

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I have a Radioshack COCO-2 that came with 16KB RAM and I voided the warranty seal the day I received it to upgrade to 64MB RAM (that was about $1 hundred cheaper than buying the 64MB version). It has two 160MB floppy drives, a 1200 baud serial printer, a cassette recorder, and I bought a couple of extras like EDTASM+, OS-9, and a few other cartridges I don't remember. It still works except I had to replace the 13 inch color TV that is 25 years old. I figure I put about $2000+ into it.

7. Leec65

Leec65

8. rugrat

rugrat

Still have a Quantum Bigfoot 6GB that refuses to die, It was an upgrade to my 1.2GB maxtor that replace the 500MB ??? that replaced the ???? that replaced the ???? If only I had the money back that I spent on pairs of parity RAM.

9. xtreampb

xtreampb Thread Starter

sorry guys... i feel relly stupid

i forgot that my camra is compatable only with a FAT-32... the OS that i installed is a NTFS:(

I DELEATED MY KERNELS........AGAIN:eek:

lucky me i knew how to fix them this time :D

i got to get a new camra

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    JohnWill, is that Seagate an MFM drive or an early IDE drive? I still have my Seagate 5Mb MFM Drive and MFM ISA controller in Storage. Last time I plugged it into my 286 machine it was still working with Dos 3.0 and WordStar and Multimate4 on it. That was one expensive drive at the time too.

11. telegramsam

telegramsam

That's what I got--the bigfoot. It was purchased in a Compaq in 1999 and it STILL works. I use it to test gear. I have to use Damn Small Linux or Xubuntu with it so I don't die of boredom waiting for it to open a program!!

12. jackdw

jackdw

I thought a 2gb IDE 3.5" hard drive I have in one PC here was old..

A pic of those 'tractors' would be interesting. With soemthing to scale it to such as a CD or a modern day hard drive.

13. golddust

golddust

IBM Aptiva had the Quantum Big Foot. When I got rid of it the darn thing was still running, but it sounded like it was grinding itself to bits.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The Seagate I have is an MFM drive. I have an old ISA controller for it, but no ISA machines to plug it into. :)

15. Compiler

Compiler

Naaaa... 2GB OLD?

My first HD was a 20MB (megabyte) HD that was external for my Amiga 1000 - the 2mb RAM expansion with SCSI adaptor (about the size of 3 normal DVD cases) which ran a cable to metal box which housed the 3.5" drive. I paid about $200 for the used 20mb drive.

My Amiga 3000 (1992 when I bought it) came with a 100mb drive and I added a used 50mb for the mac emulator.

5" drive... Compaq was perhaps the last to use these in consumer PCs - for LOW-end models - as recently as 1996~97.

There were 8" Hard drives.... and LARGER(but these were for servers)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice