1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

oldest peice of junk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xtreampb, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, my "first" hard disk was a 20mb 8" Micropolis OEM drive that didn't come with a controller. I wire-wrapped a controller for the S100 bus for my trusty 8080 CP/M machine. :)

2. jackdw

jackdw

Could you even fit an OS on a 20mb?

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Yeah, MSDOS 6.22 is less that 10MB.

4. JohnWill

Are you kidding? CP/M fit in about 60kb or so. :) Remember, this was command line stuff. I never managed to fill that 20meg drive, and I had lots of stuff running on that system.

FWIW, MS-DOS will fit on a single 1.44mb floppy, and the entire install package came on three floppies. It fits in a lot less than 10mb. :D MS-DOS would easily boot in a machine with 64kb (not mb) of RAM, and Windows 3.1 ran well on machines with as little as 4mb of memory. ;)

5. jackdw

jackdw

I remember using 3.1. Hell that was old and confusing.
    Windows 95 really did change everything...

6. xtreampb

xtreampb Thread Starter

i am too young to remember any of that i was only bout 5 when win 95 came out

i am working on that pic.

7. jackdw

jackdw

Your using win95?!?

8. xtreampb

xtreampb Thread Starter

no...never
    i was 5 years old when win 95 came out
    i got xp and trying to get vista also for my skool laptop i got mac OSX
    i am in high skool and they are trying to take away my CET classes. they say that b/c it is not revelent to the skool (every student has a skool issued mac ibook g4) that the class is no good for the skool this is BS

9. Drew7997

Drew7997

yeah I have a bigfoot- 12 gig!!!! massive and hums like crazy- still stable though.
    I bet I have one of the OLDEST around though, Came outta a Packard Bell 386SX that was a 16MHZ processor and 2 MB of RAM the Circuit board is as large as the HD (3.5") I'll take a pic of it later but it's a 101 MB HD. Ran all my Windows 3.1 proggies. Still runs. I plug it into a 400 MHZ comp and played my old games for about 3 weeks, lol. It's a Seagate.

10. jackdw

jackdw

Lets see some pics of these old hard drive thingys then...

11. Drew7997

Drew7997

i would but I"m at work.

12. griffinspc

griffinspc

My first "computer" at work was a floor stander. It measured about 3 feet high, maybe 2.5 feet wide and 2.5 feet deep. It had 4 boards in it. Each stretched from front to back, side to side. The HD was massive and if I remember correctly it was 10MB. It had a place for the old 8" IBM floppy and of course all was command line except for the floppy which had the precursor to the original VisiCalc. That had sort of a command line GUI. We had one of the first impact printers hooked up to it and it broke down every 3rd use. LOL. I wish I'd have kept the old beast. Dating myself, Yeah but those were the days. ;)

13. JohnWill

Actually, if you have a Bigfoot, it's not a Seagate, it's a Quantum. Are you sure you actually have a Bigfoot?

14. Drew7997

Drew7997

yeah actually what I meant was that I have a quantum bigfoot that was 12 gig. IN addition to a 3.5" old school Seagate that was 101MB it runs like a champ. It is such a great HD, ok going home- I'll check back when I get there.

15. Drew7997

Drew7997

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice