1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Oliveoyl

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by oliveoyl, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oliveoyl

oliveoyl Thread Starter

I used to think i was technologically educated but now I realize I am illiterate! Have Windows XP - Trojan horse virus showed up called win32:zlob-bn - have tried to move to chest and to delete. I know what file is infected - windosws\system32\hp100.tmp. I have gone to control panel, found the file in my hard drive and tried to delete that way - keep receiving message that another file is using it - what do I do now but blow up my brand new Dell computer?

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

You should print out these instructions, or copy them to a NotePad file for reading while in Safe Mode, because you will not be able to connect to the Internet to read from this site.

Please download SmitfraudFix (by S!Ri)
    Extract the content (a folder named SmitfraudFix) to your Desktop.

Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :
    • Restart your computer
    • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
    • Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear;
    • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press "Enter".
    • Choose your usual account.
    Once in Safe Mode, open the SmitfraudFix folder again and double-click smitfraudfix.cmd
    Select option #2 - Clean by typing 2 and press "Enter" to delete infected files.

You will be prompted: "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry?"; answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter" in order to remove the Desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection.

The tool will now check if wininet.dll is infected. You may be prompted to replace the infected file (if found); answer "Yes" by typing Y and press "Enter".

The tool may need to restart your computer to finish the cleaning process; if it doesn't, please restart it into Normal Windows.

A text file will appear onscreen, with results from the cleaning process; please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply along with a new hijack log.

The report can also be found at the root of the system drive, usually at C:\rapport.txt

Warning: running option #2 on a non infected computer will remove your Desktop background.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice