1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Olympus 5060, Camedia 4.1 software woes

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Wilbur, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wilbur

Wilbur Thread Starter

When I plug the USB cable into the camera and turn it on, sometimes when I go to transfer images the program tells me there is no images saved on the camera.
    I can see the camera in the Device manager.

Sometimes rebooting fixes the problem, right now I have 80 pics on the camera I can't transfer. I think this software is crap, any suggestions?
    Running Win XP pro

Thanks
    Will

2. dobhar

dobhar

Hi Will...

Open either "MY Computer" or Windows Explorer" and check to see if the Camera is mapped as a Drive Letter...somethng like "Removable Disk (H:)" If the Software cannot see that the Camera is connected then you will get this error. Not sure of the actual Drive letter but they need to map to a certain drive letter and if this letter is already used by something else then it won't work.

Alternatively you can buy a Camera Card Reader if you use a memory stick with the Camera. I have a 9-in-one USB 2.0 Camera Card Reader that can read 9 different type of memory sticks. The only unfortunate thing is that it takes up 4 drive letters. Readers are very cheap these days.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Unless its essential I would never use camera software for downloading.

Windows explorer and drag and drop under XP is much more reliable. If that fails to work it points to a hardware problem.

4. Wilbur

Wilbur Thread Starter

Thanks Dob, that might be the problem as I have my son's hard drives mapped to my computer.
    I'll plug in the camera and see if I can map it tonight.

I know the computer 'sees' it though cuz it shows in the device manager.

Ya, I know I should get a reader, but the software with the camera is supposed to be so "easy"! :eek:

5. Wilbur

Wilbur Thread Starter

Okay, still no go.

The camera shows in my device manage under 'disk drives' but I cannot map to it in explorer where it doesn't show at all.

I have some images I need to download for a project, I'm desperate here...

6. dobhar

dobhar

What drives are listed in "My Computer"?

The reason I'm asking about the drive letters is I had a personal experinece with one of the user PC's trying to use the Camedia camera software. The user would do the same as you and get the same error. But when I logged onto his PC as Domain Admins it would work for me. I figured his profile was corrupted somehow so I hosed his old one and recreated a new one. He could now access the files on the camera. A couple days later he called to say he's getting the same error again. I asked myself what could have happened in 2 days for it not to work again...then it hit me "MAPPED DRIVES". This user (Power User) just about uses every drive letter and during those 2 days he re-mapped his drives again. I started disconnecting drives letters until I found the one that the Camera wanted. I believe it was "E" or "F". Bingo! He can now access pics on Camera.

You mentioned you have XP Pro...I also have XP Pro and have 2 ways to get pics off my Kodak Digital Camera...(1) I use Card Reader and (2) I use XP's "Camera and Scanner Wizard". With the memory card still in Camera I just hook up the USB cord that came with the Camera, turn it on, and the wizard starts. I don't use the Kodak software that came with my camera.

I would try removing the Camedia Software (I'm assuming that you have the software for re-install if necessary) via "Add/Remove Programs" then reboot PC. Plug in Camera to USB cable and turn it on to see if XP's "Camera and Scanner Wizard starts...if it does bonus. If it does not then maybe a cheap Card Reader is called for.

7. Wilbur

Wilbur Thread Starter

I have my C, D, E and F drives showing, my CD burners shows as G.
    Then my son's C, D, and E are mapped to my H, I and J drives.

Now this is where it gets real weird, I went to my son's computer basically the same as mine with a faster CPU (2.8 gig vs my 2.5), he is also mapped to my hard drives. I installed the Camedia software, hooked up the USB, trurned the camera on, opened Camedia and transfered the images to my computer without a problem, simple as they say it should be. :)

I then came to mine, uninstalled Camedia and all my USB drives. When I rebooted XP installed the USB's again. I re-installed Camedia, plugged in the camera and get a message saying no images on the camera!! :(

We are both 'administrators' of our computers.

The camera shows in the device manager but it seems to me Camedia does not see the camera plugged into the USB. The software has no 'trouble shooting' section and there's no mention of this problem on their website.

I've emailed Camedia, Olympus yesterday and have not heard back. I'm going to call them tomorrow after work.

I tried adding the camera under control panel scanners and cameras but because my camera is so new it's not listed, plus why bother since the camera shows in device manager under disc drive as Olympus c5060wz usb device.

AAARRRGGHH! :eek:

I don't know, reformat cuz my stoopid camera software doesn't work¿
    Will tackle this some more tomorrow, thanks for your help.

8. dobhar

dobhar

Do you have other USB ports? If so try another port. There are know issues with using the USB ports in the Front of Computers. If your using Front ones try one of the back ones.

9. Wilbur

Wilbur Thread Starter

Matter of fact I am using a front USB port, I didn't know about problems with them, I'll try the rear tonight(something about that just doesn't sound right!) :D

Thanks Dob!

10. Wilbur

Wilbur Thread Starter

Interesting development:
    Get home from work, turn on my computer, plug the camera into a rear USB, turn it on, presto, images download, so I figure ole' Dob was right.
    So for the hell of it I plug the camera into the front USB, same thing, notta problem. This time when I go to turn off the camera I notice it says something about my (H) drive which is mapped to my son's C, cept he's not home and his machine is off. A light bulb goes off!

By now junior's home and no worky, I disconnect his drives and reboot, now it works like a dream Seams to me the camera picks the first drive letter NOT found on the computer (H) and when it's mapped to something else you have a problem.

So I remapped his drive with letters starting at J and all is well.

Thanks for your clues there Dob, couldn't have done it without you! (y)

When I did all this I turned on the camera and I had a choice of what to do when I use the USB, I selected open in explorer. If in the future I want to change to open in ACDSee or Camedia, how would I go about it?

Thanks,
    I love this place! :)

11. dobhar

dobhar

Woohoo!!! :D :D

Glad to hear it all worked out. :D

On the window that popped up there is an option, on the bottom, to "Always do the selected action"...as long as you did not check this off when you selected Explorer this pop up window will appear everytime.

12. Wilbur

Wilbur Thread Starter

...and if I did check off the little box¿ :eek:
    Not a big deal, it's working good now and using exlorer seems to be thae best, just wonderin.

Thanks again (y)
    Will

13. dobhar

dobhar

No problem...glad to help.

If I find out how to "remove" the check mark I'll post back.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice