1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OMG! Diskeeper is screwing with my HDD!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ccfilms, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ccfilms

ccfilms Thread Starter

So, I installed Diskeeper 9 yesterday, all went well, then I installed the update patch (515) and suddenly, I noticed, that about 1.2GB of my hard drive was sitting halfway in the middle of my hard drive!!! it wasn't before the patch! Oh, and when I defrag, it doesn't move the files back to the beginning of the drive...THEY STAY!!!

So, I spent ALL day today reformatting my HDD, and I finally went to go defrag, and GUESS WHAT!!! GOSH!!! SAME PROBLEM!!!! 1.2GB was sitting in the middle of my drive! I aint reformatting again, I'm just wondering, WHY IN THE HECK it's doing that. It did that once before with Diskeeper 7, and the way that I prevented it was, when i reformatted, I defragged after installing windows, then my apps, then doing tweaks, and all went well....this time, I just decided to check out Diskeeper AFTER everything was installed....oh dear me.... do I have to reformat AGAIN??? This'll be the 3rd!!!! time this week!

Take a look at the screenshot to see what I mean that diskeeper is screwing me.

Also, I know that I have to defrag, so don't any of you act like wise guys and say "dude, defrag your hdd" cuz it's next on my list....also, when I defrag, it DOES NOT fix the problem....it just stays, doesn't move the stray files back to the beginning.....ITS HORRIBLE!!!

Boot defrag doesn't fix nothing as well.

Attached Files:

• dk.gif
      dk.gif
      File size:
      164.6 KB
      Views:
  2. ccfilms

ccfilms Thread Starter

And if anyone's wondering why there's no page file, it's on my slave HDD on it's own 5GB partition.

3. ccfilms

ccfilms Thread Starter

Please, this is important. BUMP

As you can see, I defragged (boot and normal) as well as DriverHeaven's little thingy, and still, a number of my files STILL remain half way in the middle of my drive? what's up with that?

Attached Files:

• dk.gif
      dk.gif
      File size:
      26.8 KB
      Views:
  4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Diskeeper doesn't worry about maximizing space at the end of the hard drive.. It only worries about making file parts congruous. The files stay in the middle, but they are showing as defragmented.. Not having to place all the files at the beginning of the drive speeds up the defragmentation process.

5. guitarman1

guitarman1 Banned

Hello Gotrootdude, I tried this DK9 for the trial, couldn't decide if it was any good, what do you think of it ?

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I have it set to defrag automatically using smart scheduleing. I forget that it's there, and the PC is always defragmented by the next morning when I use it again. It's never damaged any hard drive I've used it on. (y)

7. GENERIC

GENERIC

What version of Diskeeper did you install? From checking the (Pro) helpfile, it states that "Note: The selectable defragmentation method options shown here are not available in Diskeeper Home Edition. Diskeeper Home Edition uses the Max disk performance defragmentation method.".

Check out "Free space on my volume" in the help file, it describes the options to select for free space consolidation (using menu on left): "Change your settings, Set defragmentation method, Free Space Consolidation".

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324777

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice