1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Omg Unrecoverable Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kracknuts, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kracknuts

kracknuts Thread Starter

Hi

I just reinstalled windows onto my 20gig system hard drive.

In the process of reinstalling programs etc... my computer rebooted and i had an unexpected disk check which brought up several unrecoverable errors for corupted files on my 160gb hard drive.

several files had been corrupted and some folders... most importantly my My Pictures folder got corrupted :(
    This folder was turned into a single file "my Pix" 32kbs
    The pictures I had here were are very important to me as they are irreplaceable. I would have prefered it if it had wiped out everything else on my hard drive apart from that folder :'(

Is there anything that I could do to recover this folder ??

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Here is a page from the Microsoft Knowledge Base and hopefully it will tell you how to recover those files you need. Before you mess with this file that the check made please back it up to something like a CD-R if this one gets trashed you are up the creak. There are companies that specialize in recovering files you may have to go there.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true

Remember that the golden rule is always backup your important data.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would back up whatever you can and run check disk on that drive.
    You can do that by opening My Computer, right click the drive, choose properties, tools, error checking, check now and put check marks in both boxes and reboot.

4. kracknuts

kracknuts Thread Starter

Hi

Couldnt find how to recover them from that link but it did say

"If you press Y, Windows saves each lost chain in the root directory as a file with a name in the format Filennnn.chk. When chkdsk finishes, you can check these files to see if they contain any data you need. If you press N, Windows fixes the disk, but it does not save the contents of the lost allocation units."

I didnt have the choice to pick Y or N.. I think it just did it by itself and chose Y which coverted those folders into files.

I tried to search for .chk on my hard drives only found these 3 files:
    edb.chk - 8kb c:\windows\security
    softokn.chk - 1kb c:\program files\mozilla firefox
    edb.chk - 8kb c:\windows\system32\catroot2

It says those files will be saved in the "root directory" Is this suppose to be the c drive, the errors happened on my d drive. I cant find it :(

5. kracknuts

kracknuts Thread Starter

I tried advanced recovery professional demo

It scanned my hard drive and shows all the picts that were lost... only problem is i cant recover em without handing over the $$$$

Well atleast there is hope. Is there any good possibly free data recovering software out there?

From data recovery pro it shows folders such as
    $root001
    $root002
    $root003
    dir1
    dir2
    dir3... etc

the picts are in the dir folders

How do i see, or browse, or backup a $root folder? Is that what I need to backup?

6. kracknuts

kracknuts Thread Starter

Oh i found some folders/files hidden on my D drive

these must be them... unlest they were made by thad advanced recovery program :S

system volume information (file) 32kbs
    volume information (folder) 3.68gb
    found.000 (folder) 5.83gb

Ill back these up to an external now

7. kracknuts

kracknuts Thread Starter

the found.000 folder contains heapsa .chk files

ie file0000.chk file0001.chk

8. kracknuts

kracknuts Thread Starter

Good news - I managed to recover my picts from those backups using unchk.exe

Bad news, I had to restart my comp (using the power switch) which caused everything else on that hard drive to go corrupt!

Realising that it would take forever and a day to recover all those stuff and to sort them out I reformatted that driver.

Thanks for telling me to backup those chk files - atleast I have my photos, other stuff are replaceable

9. kracknuts

kracknuts Thread Starter

Using seagate tools I did a full scan of that 160gig hard drive

It gave me the green with no problems detected

Can i trust this hard drive? What could have been the problem.. I just reinstalled the system before all this happened, could the system be dodgy and needs to be reinstalled again?

10. kracknuts

kracknuts Thread Starter

I thought the problem was solved.

But today I had to restart my computer from the button. and sure enough when it ran chckdsk some files went bad again :(

What can the problem be. Please help. This is a real worry

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!