1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Omg Win Xp Messed Up!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by h0k4g3, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. h0k4g3

h0k4g3 Thread Starter

Hi,

I just bought Norton Antivirus 2006, I had problems installing the Program so i looked up a support page on symantec.

http://service1.symantec.com/suppor...orton AntiVirus&ver=2006&csm=no&seg=hho&tpre=

After following the previous solutions... I used SymNRT.exe.... after letting SymNRT complete the norton antivirus removal. I restarted and Ran windows XP. Soon I got ANOTHER error from Norton AntiVirus Installation... I did not get to see the details because soon the installer would not let me click or open anything... i closed the error box and decided to run the Installation again but this time i was not able to run anything except for "explorer" based programs such as folders, my computer, drives and etc...

I've tried restarting the computer many times... no good..

Can any1 please help me out !!!

Thanks

*UPDATED*

I get the error "this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action..."

Thanks again!

*UPDATED*

found this support link:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...90071fe1c?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam&seg=ag

on symantec's site... doesn't help b/c what i need to do is edit some administrative account... but i cant do anything except edit registry in windows safemode with cmd prompt....

someone please help...

Thanks...

If not ima reinstall the o/s

P.S. DO NOT BUY Norton Antivirus 2006... in fact dont buy any Norton Product... if you do you're just starting a long chain of problems.... Please go with a different Anti Viral product.

Another note. If you are able to install NAV 2006, it will lag your computer and cause your mouse to freeze at some point when cpu is being used more than normal.

2. Sanguines

Sanguines

For the record, I've used Norton products for years, and their lastest version (seems to me) to be the best of them all, especially for the firewall.

Anyways.

You say you got a "program is already installed" error, judging from the support link. This is usually caused by, (you guessed it), a Norton product being installed already. It doesn't even have to be the SAME product - I know that NAV06 conflicts with NIS06, because NIS installs NAV anyways! The same goes for SystemWorks, so if you have any of those installed, that would cause that error.

Also when you used SymNRT, that program is only recommended if you plan to install the 2005 of NAV or NIS - I would have used the Windows uninstaller instead, and therein that program may have damaged something - you only generally get the above error from having an OLD version of NIS or NAV installed, which SymNRT is not designed for.

When you say you can't do anything but open Regedit in Safe Mode: why? Does the computer freeze? Does nothing happen? If so this is likely a deeper rooted problem than the Norton product, and a fresh install of your OS is likely the easiest solution.

Hope this helps :)

3. Mayorcool

Mayorcool

I agree with not going w/ Norton. I've had tons of problems with Internet Security 2005. The firewall blocks other computers on my network despite setting it to allow their IP's. I have to manually shut off Internet Security anytime I need to transfer files between computers. We use McAfee at work and it's never had a problem with that.

A new problem I've been having with Internet Security occurs about 1 in 5 times I start up my computer. Norton Internet Security will start popping up "Norton Internet Security has automatically created rules for network proxy service". It keeps popping up over and over and over and over, and it blocks the internet so I have to restart. Norton tech support was clueless so I will NOT be buying a Norton product ever again.

4. Sanguines

Sanguines

NIS06 has Firewall Learning, so anytime you manually access a program that accesses the internet or network, the firewall learns it and allows it. I've never had a problem such as the one you describe with NIS - usually those problems, in my experience, are caused by Windows Firewall (piece of junk that it is) or by incorrect protocols or workgroup settings. Actually, I'm not even sure that NIS firewalls the local network in my experience.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice