1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ominous sound coming from pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by at_random, Apr 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. at_random

at_random Thread Starter

This is really creepy. My pc has recently started making these strange droning sounds, and it really worries me. Sometimes it just happens out of the blue, sometimes it happens after I reboot. I can't quite tell where it's coming from, but I'm fairly sure it's not my hard drive. I don't know what to do, though. So far, it hasn't caused any noticeable problems, but it's a terrible sound, like a ghost or something is haunting my pc.

2. active95

active95

Is the sound like a low beep , a growl grinding noise? Does it happens with a particular application or after awhile?

3. Gary R

Gary R

That mystery sound might be the Power Supply or CPU cooling fan dying.

4. at_random

at_random Thread Starter

That was my first guess, but I don't know what the fan looks like, or where it is. How do I find it and fix/replace it?

5. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

You will have to open the case up and reboot with it open so that you can check where its coming from exactly.

A client had a similar droning/howling sound which I tracked down to the fan on the Graphics card. One of the bearings had gone. Weirdly if I turned the case on its side the noise disappeared. You can't replace these, and you certainly can't oil them, so it was a new card for them.

Someone did say to me a long time ago that you could ease squeaks of this kind with graphite filings (the grey filings from a soft lead pencil), but I've never had the time or inclination to try it out on a live machine.

6. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

If you are absolutely certain the sound is not coming from a speaker don't worry too much about virus/rogue software. If the sound might be coming from a speaker I could easily see the potential for some malware to be causing it.

Any time you observe "strange" behavior it would not be a wasted effort to immediately do a thorough virus/worm/trojan/spyware/adware check.

7. holtzmjh

holtzmjh

My pc does the exact same thing. It has made horrible sounds for a while now, but since last week, for some reason, it's a lot better. I'm pretty sure it's the processor fan, but my case is so cramped I can't really get to it. Plus, I don't even see a way to get it off. Your right though, it makes the most God awful sound.

8. at_random

at_random Thread Starter

I traced the sound to my vid card, which seems to be vibrating. When I put my finger on it, the sound changed pitch, so that's definitely the problem. So I probably need a new one, I assume.

9. at_random

at_random Thread Starter

I just replaced the vid card and the sound is gone. No more ghost in my pc :)

But my wallet is $80 slimmer :(

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/77555

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice