1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

omscan

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by terryxp, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. terryxp

terryxp Thread Starter

Anybody know how to disable this service in XP pro? Its not listed under windows services anywhere, I think its something to do with mail routing or something, but in windows event viewer there is always an error for "omscan failed to start, file could not be found." Did a search of the reg and found it all over the place, but I just want to know how to disable it, or keep windows from trying to start it at bootup.........

2. Dan O

Dan O

It is an old HP utility, which is no longer available. Run SYSEDIT and check for it in SYSTEM.INI and WIN.INI.

3. terryxp

terryxp Thread Starter

Hey Dan-O...
    Nope, nothing to do with omscan there. Wonder why I'd have an old HP utility on here, being it's a custom PC with clean install of XP Pro??Hmmm... any other ideas? I'm befuddled.

4. terryxp

terryxp Thread Starter

Its listed under windows services in the reg, but thats all I have found

5. mtbird

mtbird

6. terryxp

terryxp Thread Starter

Worked fine... I had that key identified, but I wanted to get more info on what exactly omscan was and if I needed it for anything, which it seems I dont, so whammo... its gone. We'll see if it mucks anything up, though I doubt it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice