1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

On a VPN how can...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mzzondo, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mzzondo

mzzondo Thread Starter

On a VPN how can i tell who is accessing my machine? or when its being monitored?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You can't.

3. mzzondo

mzzondo Thread Starter

huh, thats hard to believe...would they have to use remote access? im talking about someone in another state. or can they just grab my mouse and take over the computer?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Your first question what how to tell if you're "monitored", and now you're asking how you know if someone can physically take over your computer. That's two completely separate things.

If you're connecting to a VPN, all Internet traffic can be monitored. If this is a company computer, they may also have installed keylogging software or other services that tracking everything you type and click on. And, yes, it's possible for them to just take over your mouse.

Focus more on work and less on how to cheat the system. Really, it's just a waste of time.

5. dmgaddy

dmgaddy

Im not tailgating im "drafting"
    and Im not speeding im "quailying"

What is quailying?

6. mzzondo

mzzondo Thread Starter

Woah....Sorry everyone in the office is asking this question due to the fact that our company which was a small family operation and now has been bought by a worldwide company, and they had their internet nazi come in and install a vpn, so he could "reach out and touch" our machines. everyone has a little bit of "big brother" anxieties. We do our work! Not trying to circumvent the system just don't want to be snuck up on. They can look on my machine i have nothing to hide, and if i did want to hide something there is folder lock proggys. Unless they installed a keylogger on my machine remotely i dont think there is one. i stood right here while he was in the office. I am very Focused on my work. was just looking for ideas on the subject, didnt mean to upset you.

7. mzzondo

mzzondo Thread Starter

Im not tailgating im "drafting"
    and Im not speeding im "quailifying"

Sorry Typo

8. dmgaddy

dmgaddy

Speaking as an "internet nazi" myself, there are many legitimate reasons for wanting, rather needing to reach out and touch a machine on the network. Those reasons might be to audit and record software installations to assure licensing compliance, or to verify OS updates or virus definitions are all current. We are responsible for the health of the network from firewall to mousepad.

Having the information regarding the condition and performance of all the elements on that network help us help you better.

Also, I know of no one in my position who has time to sit around monitoring the mouse movements and keyclicks of our users, so let not your hearts be troubled. If your mouse starts moving by itself assume you are being vexed by "printergeists" and call in a priest, or check under your desk and see if the mouse cord is wrapped around your foot! :eek:

Yes it did happen! One of my people accused me of spying on her because as she was getting up to leave, she saw her cursor move, "All by itself!" This happened twice before she called to complain.

'nuff said.

9. mzzondo

mzzondo Thread Starter

Thank you for the explanation. I'll keep an eye out for the cord under my desk. lol

10. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

VPNs in a corporate environment are typically used to extend network connections across unsecure links to create a virtual branch which acts like it's part of the existing corporate infrastructure. VPNs as stated are used for a variety of reasons.

With all that said, there seems to be one thing that isn't fully understood by the OP here. When you are working on corporate owned equipment, your rights end when you walk in through the door to your office. You have no rights to anything you do on corporate systems. Company officials can do anything they want from installing monitoring software to securing personal files stored on company PCs to reading through your email. If you don't want your company to see anything or know your internet activities, then don't do it on corporate systems. This stance has been upheld via various court rulings.

11. mzzondo

mzzondo Thread Starter

uhhhh i get it.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice