1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

On being an American and a Canadian

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by GreenIs, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GreenIs

GreenIs Thread Starter

My mum sent me this, I thought it was interesting for a topic of conversation. Please try not to get to heated about it by making prejudice posts, but rather explore explore how you believe this to be right or wrong. I myself agree with this statement made below. I don't like how we Canadians or Americans are almost made to feel ashamed of our heritages. I can't stand some of the politically correctness. It is taken too far and is ruining our countries. Our countries are so great because of the reasons these people are trying to stop. If we stop 'being' Canadian or American then we are ultimately allowing our nations to become what most of these foreigners, who complain about God and culture differences, where trying to get away from to begin with. They hated their country so bad they left it, yet they push to keep, what in most cases, made their countries so bad to begin with.

That's what I believe. And in todays coming events of war we need to all the most hang on to what truly makes us Americans and Canadians.

Anyway here it is read for yourself:

The Right to Leave

>After hearing that the state of Florida changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's license with her face covered , I believe this is even more appropriate. Read on, please!
    >This is an editorial written by an American citizen, published in a Tampa newspaper. He did quite a job; didn't he?
    >
    >IMMIGRANTS, not Americans and Canadians, MUST ADAPT.
    >
    >I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture.
    >
    >Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Americans and Canadians.
    >However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to North America.
    >Our population is almost entirely comprised of descendants of immigrants. However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand.
    >This idea of America or Canada being a multi-cultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans and Canadians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom. We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language! "In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture. If Stars, Stripes and a Maple Leaf offend you, or you don't like Uncle Sam or Beavers, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet.
    >We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. These are OUR COUNTRIES, our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment and in Canada, the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, gives every citizen the right to express his or her opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to do so. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flags, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you to take advantage of one other great American and Canadian freedom:
    >
    >THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.
    >If you agree -- pass this along; if you don't agree -- I don't want to hear about it. Remember - People were supposed to leave their countries and come to North America to make a BETTER life - NOT - continue the one they just had.
    >

2. littlemar

littlemar

My mom came to the USA in 1948 and at that time did not speak English. She worked very hard to learn her "new" language and our ways of life. She worked on her English by watching Westerns and studied to become an American citizen. And let me tell you she was very proud to accomplish both of these tasks. Not once was she sorry that she did all this because this was now her home. Does she miss Italy??? Yes, but she's here now and is very patriotic and gets upset with the people that don't even try to adjust.

I accept and embrace our beliefs and rights and will never be ashamed to say God Bless the USA. (Canada too)

3. deh

deh

I AGREE!

You may get angry PC liberal responses against some of it (Christian thing comes to mind) but they should learn to deal with it. IN GOD WE TRUST! Don't like it??? Since that offends you so much, I'll do you a favor and take everything you own that contains that phrase $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

And no I'm not going to read expert opinions or pasted articles cause it doesn't really matter.

"Welcome to America, hope you enjoy your visit. If you plan on staying: Learn the Language or get the f$$$ Out" should be posted at every airport.

4. GreenIs

GreenIs Thread Starter

LMAO!!! YAY!!! It should!

5. Moby

Moby

Not being either American Or Canadian, I still agree entirely. Over here we are even more "understanding" to such people. Some people can see kindness as a weakness and can take advantage of it. Enough!! I have nothing against anyone coming or going anywhere and they can still keep whatever is important to them, materially, culturally or whateverly, but they have to learn enough about their new home to get by and not make anything change to accomodate them. They should get exactly the same rules as us and to me that's just plain fair.
    Or leave.
    :mad:

6. Gibble

Gibble

The way I see it, this article is right.

People can come to canada and the us, they are free to practice whatever religion they choose, but we are also free to practice ours.

All I want is for you to learn the language. Seriously, just learn to speak some [email protected] english, it doesn't even have to be fluent, just make an effort.

As for religion in school, it shouldn't be forced, that's basically the way I see it, so the christian students have their prayer, during the minute or two the other students can be quiet, and wait patiently, then classes resume. No harm to anyone, those that don't want to pray, don't.

That's what these countries are about, freedom of choice and TOLERANCE.

You go to your church, he'll go to his, and I'll sit at home and watch TV (I don't believe in any organized religions) if you have a problem with that, then leave this country.

We afford everyone every freedom they could want. Nobody is persecuted, and nobody is forced to believe anything. You can whine and gripe, but we also can ignore you.

That's life in North America, deal with it.

7. Flrman1

Flrman1

Very good Greenis! I agree 100%. If you want a peek at a real eye-opener check this out.

Sleeping With The Enemy
    Reading, Writing, and Islam?
    Commentary on the News
    Tuesday, July 30, 2002
    Jack Kinsella - Omega Letter Editor

Seventh graders in classrooms across the United States are taking a mandatory class called "A Simulation of Islamic History and Culture" which is being paid for with public money. These students soon find themselves fighting mock battles of jihad against "Christian crusaders" and other assorted "infidels." Upon gaining victory, our mock-Muslim warriors "Praise Allah."

Here is the link to the full article.

http://www.omegaletter.com/articles.asp?ArticleID=213

You may not be a conservative Christian nevertheless you should be startled and appalled at this. The very foundation of the freedoms that we North Americans hold so dear are crumbling beneath our feet in the name of "tolerance".

8. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

blah, blah, blah on the christianity stuff - religion should never be a factor for disputes between people - we all have the same basic architecture - be nice to & respect each other

But it has become overwhelming with "rights' assigned to new folks.
    I have been privileged to meet, and be inspired by immigrants and their knowledge, their differences. I can say that 99% of folks I have met have been trying hard & succeeding in adapting to their new world.
    However, get a few fanatics and "ist's" in there beating at the government's door, and all hell breaks loose – and almost always due to religious beliefs - why?

I am sooooo Canadian, but no one will let me dance naked in the rain – and that is part of my religion – lol! :p We stopped trying to fit in after the burnings :rolleyes: ... tolerance for me - ha, not likely ... our family, through generations, has been tolerant of all.

But the real changes and lack of respect and rip off to this land and culture - look inside your internal history - here in Canada our beloved Natives were stripped of all and had religion shoved down their throats under the most menacing conditions - to meet up with standards brought from overseas. sheesh.

Today's decisions are no better than the mistakes made hundreds of years ago. We just feel it more so cuz there are more of us vying for elbow room & getting nasty. So really nothing much has changed ... we still view newcomers as intruders and backdown to the loudest ones.

MDM

9. Flrman1

Flrman1

I am a little confused Maddog! So it's OK to teach a mandatory Islamic course in school but not Christianity?

10. Flrman1

Flrman1

BTW I do not believe in any mandatory religion being taught in Public school. Mandatory no, elective Yes!

11. plschwartz

plschwartz

Flrman1
    Thank you for your post. The was a saying at my graduate school that a foolwho gets a Ph.D. gives you a fool with aPh.D.
    American officaldom is in love with quick educational fix. If somebody abuses their kids the courts may ask them to take a 20 hour remediation course. As if 20 hours of anything will change a pattern.
    But then they can get the kids back. I ran into a couple who had taken this course four times.
    A course in the Koran is not going to help us learn why so many Muslims hate us.To understand misunderstandings between people needs an understanding of the interaction beteen them which study of the Koran does nothing to further.
    There are also the civil rights questions that you correctly bring up. I do believe strongly in the separation of Church and State, but lawyers as the usally do have made us leave a reasonable middle ground forced us to accept the absurd. I have no problem having a creche in a puplic park at Christmas but would object to Christianity being taught in public school as a true religion.

12. plschwartz

plschwartz

I forgot who said it but I agree that "an informed electorate is the best bulwork(?) of democracy"
    Aside perhaps from Spanish it is difficult to see how a non-Emglish speaker can be well informed.
    America is not free (of charge!) If you want the benefits of our country as least pay us back by learning our language so that you can participate in our government . This is also why I oppose bi-lingual education. My grandfather grew up in a cross roads part of europe where his family ran a shop. He could speak four languages and did not think that was much of anything, just a regular part of doing business. Total immersion in a language seems the best way to learn it for most people. Extra classes taught in this way for immigrant kids should bring most of the up to speed quickly.

If you believe in the need for an informed electoral then I have a document that will turn your stomach. It is the 100 questions that if you know you can become a citizen

U.S. Citizenship Test

INS examiners select questions from this list of 100 when they interview aspiring citizens on America's history and government. Applicants typically will be asked about a dozen questions. The interviewee can make a couple of mistakes. The whole process takes about 10 minutes.

1. What are the colors of the flag? (A)

2. How many stars are there in our flag? (A)

3. What color are the stars on our flag? (A)

4. What do the stars on the flag mean? (A)

5. How many stripes are there in the flag? (A)

6. What color are the stripes? (A)

7. What do the stripes on the flag mean? (A)

8. How many states are there in the union (United States)? (A)

9. What is the 4th of July? (A)

10. What is the date of Independence Day? (A)

11. Independence from whom? (A)

12. What country did we fight during the Revolutionary War? (A)

13. Who was the first president of the United States? (A)

14. Who is the president of the United States today? (A)

15. Who is the vice president of the United States? (A)

16. Who elects the president of the United States? (A)

17. Who becomes president of the United States if the president should die? (A)

18. For how long do we elect the president? (A)

19. What is the Constitution? (A)

20. Can the Constitution be changed? (A)

21. What do we call a change to the Constitution? (A)

22. How many changes or amendments are there to the Constitution? (A)

23. How many branches are there in our government? (A)

24. What are the three branches of our government? (A)

25. What is the legislative branch of our government? (A)

26. Who makes the laws in the United States? (A)

27. What is Congress? (A)

28. What are the duties of Congress? (A)

29. Who elects Congress? (A)

30. How many senators are there in Congress? (A)

31. Can you name the two senators from your state? (A)

32. For how long do we elect each senator? (A)

33. How many representatives are there in Congress? (A)

34. For how long do we elect the representative? (A)

35. What is the executive branch of our government? (A)

36. What is the judicial branch of our government? (A)

37. What are the duties of the Supreme Court? (A)

38. What is the supreme law of the United States? (A)

39. What is the Bill of Rights? (A)

40. What is the capital of your state? (A)

41. Who is the current governor of your state? (A)

42. Who becomes president of the United States if the president and the vice president should die? (A)

43. Who is the chief justice of the Supreme Court? (A)

44. Can you name the 13 original states? (A)

45. Who said, "Give me liberty or give me death"? (A)

46. Which countries were our principal allies during World War II? (A)

47. What is the 49th state of the Union (United States)? (A)

48. How many terms can a president serve? (A)

49. Who was Martin Luther King Jr.? (A)

50. Who is the head of your local government? (A)

51. According to the Constitution, a person must meet certain requirements in order to be eligible to become president. Name one of these requirements. (A)

52. Why are there 100 senators in the Senate? (A)

53. Who selects the Supreme Court justices? (A)

54. How many Supreme Court justices are there? (A)

55. Why did the Pilgrims come to America? (A)

56. What is the head executive of a state government called? (A)

57. What is the head executive of a city government called? (A)

58. What holiday was celebrated for the first time by the American Colonists? (A)

59. Who was the main writer of the Declaration of Independence? (A)

60. When was the Declaration of Independence adopted? (A)

61. What is the basic belief of the Declaration of Independence? (A)

62. What is the national anthem of the United States? (A)

63. Who wrote the Star-Spangled Banner? (A)

64. Where does freedom of speech come from? (A)

65. What is the minimum voting age in the United States? (A)

66. Who signs bills into law? (A)

67. What is the highest court in the United States? (A)

68. Who was president during the Civil War? (A)

69. What did the Emancipation Proclamation do? (A)

70. What special group advises the president? (A)

71. Which president is called the "father of our country"? (A)

72. What is the 50th state of the Union (United States)? (A)

73. Who helped the Pilgrims in America? (A)

74. What is the name of the ship that brought the Pilgrims to America? (A)

75. What were the 13 original states of the U.S. called? (A)

76. Name three rights or freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. (A)

77. Who has the power to declare war? (A)

78. Name one amendment that guarantees or addresses voting rights. (A)

79. Which president freed the slaves? (A)

80. In what year was the Constitution written? (A)

81. What are the first 10 amendments to the Constitution called? (A)

82. Name one purpose of the United Nations. (A)

83. Where does Congress meet? (A)

84. Whose rights are guaranteed by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights? (A)

85. What is the introduction to the Constitution called? (A)

86. Name one benefit of being a citizen of the United States. (A)

87. What is the most important right granted to U.S. citizens? (A)

88. What is the United States Capitol (building)? (A)

89. What is the White House? (A)

90. Where is the White House located? (A)

91. What is the name of the president's official home? (A)

92. Name one right guaranteed by the First Amendment. (A)

93. Who is the commander in chief of the U.S. military? (A)

94. Which president was the first commander in chief of the U.S. military? (A)

95. In what month do we vote for the president? (A)

96. In what month is the new president inaugurated? (A)

97. How many times may be a senator be reelected? (A)

98. How many times may a congressman be reelected? (A)

99. What are the two major political parties in the United States today? (A)

100. How many states are there in the United States? (A)

These are the answers to the 100 questions, as provided by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

1. Red, white and blue.

2. 50.

3. White.

4. One for each state in the Union.

5. 13.

6. Red and white.

7. They represent the 13 original states.

8. 50.

9. Independence Day.

10. July 4th.

11. England.

12. England.

13. George Washington.

14. William "Bill" Jefferson Clinton.

15. Al Gore.

16. The Electoral College.

17. Vice president.

18. Four years.

19. The supreme law of the land.

20. Yes.

21. Amendments.

22. 27 (with the Congressional Pay amendment ratified May 7, 1992).

23. Three.

24. Legislative, executive and judicial.

25. Congress.

26. Congress.

27. The Senate and the House of Representatives.

28. To make laws.

29. The people.

30. 100.

31. In North Carolina: John Edwards (D), Jesse Helms (R)

32. Six years.

33. 435.

34. Two years.

35. The president, Cabinet and departments under the Cabinet members.

36. The Supreme Court.

37. To interpret laws.

38. The Constitution.

39. The first 10 amendments to the Constitution.

40. Raleigh, NC

41. Governor James B. `Jim' Hunt
    Governor James B. `Jim' Hunt

42. Speaker of the House of Representatives.

43. William Rehnquist [his correct title is chief justice of the United States].

44. Connecticut, New Hampshire, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Rhode Island and Maryland.

45. Patrick Henry.

46. United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, China, France.

47. Alaska.

48. Two.

49. A civil rights leader.

50. Fayetteville Mayor: Mayor J. L. Dawkins

51. Must be a natural born citizen of the United States; must be at least 35 years old by the time he or she will serve; must have lived in the United States for at least 14 years.

52. Two from each state.

53. Appointed by the president.

54. Nine.

55. For religious freedom.

56. Governor.

57. Mayor.

58. Thanksgiving.

59. Thomas Jefferson.

60. July 4, 1776.

61. That all men are created equal.

62. The Star-Spangled Banner.

63. Francis Scott Key.

64. The Bill of Rights.

65. Eighteen.

66. The president.

67. The Supreme Court.

68. Abraham Lincoln.

69. Freed many slaves.

70. The Cabinet.

71. George Washington.

72. Hawaii.

73. The American Indians (Native Americans).

74. The Mayflower.

75. Colonies.

76. 1. The right of freedom of speech, press, religion, peaceable assembly and requesting change of government. 2. The right to bear arms (or, the right to have lawful weapons, including firearms, though subject to certain regulations). 3. The government may not quarter, or house, soldiers in private homes during peacetime without the owner's consent. 4. The government may not search or take a person's property without a warrant. 5. A person may not be tried twice by the same jurisdiction for the same crime and cannot be forced to testify against him/herself. 6. A person charged with a crime still has many rights, including the right to have a trial and be represented by a lawyer. 7. The right to jury trial by his/her peers in most cases. 8. Protects people against excessive or unreasonable fines or cruel and unusual punishment. 9. The people have rights other than those mentioned in the Constitution. 10. Any power not given to the federal government by the Constitution is a power reserved either to states or the people.

77. The Congress.

78. 15th, 19th, 24th and 26th.

79. Abraham Lincoln.

80. 1787.

81. The Bill of Rights.

82. For countries to discuss world problems; to provide economic aid to many countries; occasionally take action.

83. In the Capitol, in Washington, D.C.

84. Everyone (citizens and noncitizens living in the United States).

85. The Preamble.

86. Vote for the candidate of your choice; travel with a U.S. passport; serve on a jury; apply for federal employment opportunities; etc.

87. The right to vote.

88. The place where Congress meets.

89. The president's official residence.

90. Washington, D.C.; 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW.

91. The White House.

92. Freedom of: speech, press, religion, peaceable assembly and requesting (petitioning) for changes in the government.

93. The president.

94. George Washington.

95. November.

96. January.

97. There is no limit, at the present time.

98. There is no limit, at the present time.

99. Democratic and Republican.

100. Fifty.

Last modified: May 26, 2000

13. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

Nope it is not okay for any religion to be taught at school - save for the higher levels where courses may be elective, and shared with educated minds, not preached to the innocent. Teaching to elementary students should not include what does not apply to all - reading, writing, math, respect, responsibility, etc. ... there is too much strife and confusion surrounding spirituality to force it on young impressionable minds. Man, even the well educated powers-that-be can not get it together ... how can they decide what all kids should learn. Spirituality should be shared within the family ... where acceptance should also be taught.

It was very confusing for me as a wee child to be made to chant out lines to something I had no familiarity with - basically told me that I and my family were "all wrong". Thankfully I had very patient, knowledgeable parents who taught me that the educational system was not always right. Although I was very comfortable in my beliefs through my teens, they also encouraged me to seek out knowledge of others as I got older, to enable me to think for myself - instead of finger point & blame.

School is for mass peers, learning the basics to succeed
    Houses of Worship are for sharing the bounties of spirituality with the like minded

If the two are mixed (forced) - as we can well see, all heck breaks out. Let's let the little rascals learn how to read instead of learn how to condem.

whew - well, at least I haven't been kicked out of the forum yet ;)

MDM

14. THoey

THoey

PLS, the main point you "forget" to mention is how many natural born Americans can answer that question. I went through this a couple years ago as my Korean girlfriend earned her citizenship. We were given a several generation copy of the list of Q's and A's and it was hard to read.

So, I took it to work, typed in all of the questions and answers. As a joke, I spread it around to my friends and most of them could not answer most of the questions. Okay, some of them only know their lives and that is it. But a lot of them are intelligent, do vote, etc.

It was fun to quiz her while she was working as a bartender and see hope amazed others were that she knew so much more about our country than most of the customers did.

15. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Love it or leave it.

I don't want anyone living here who doesn't love it.

That being said, you can love your country and work to make things better, but some people who live here will condemn the U.S. government for all that is wrong in the world. Don't forget, this country os governed by the people. I voted for the man that holds the highest office in this country. I did not vote for the previous president, but my countrymen did. I don't agree with their choice, but I supported the man. I was not one of those calling for his impeachment for moral impropriety. I, however was extremely concerned with his dealings with the Chinese, and the countless deaths of many of his associates under suspicious circumstances.

That's a whole different thread, so I digress.

There are channels one can go through to change this government. Voting is only one of them. Protesting does not change any laws. But it can change public opinion.

We all have the right to leave. I wish more would excercise that right.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice