On board graphics question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

blasphemy101

Sorry, this is a very newbie question .. because I am that of a newbie.

I just purchased the BFG GeForce6600GT OC video card and wish to install it on my MSI 865PE Neo2 Mother Board. The mother board supports AGP graphics with an 8X slot and should be able to support my card as well. I currently have an old ATI 9200SE Radeon installed on it.

I've looked through the MSI user manual, called many support lines, searched the BIOS far and wide - but no luck. I can't figure out how to get this damned card working (pardon my french). I've simply uninstalled the old card through windows and replaced it with the new but I got a black screen upon re-entering the system. So now i've re-replaced the new card with the old one and everything is running on VGA graphics.

One of the support line guys who represented an MSI reseller told me that my board probably doesn't support the card - but I really find that hard to believe. Please, anybody who can shed some light I'd greatly appreciate it.

I've all the minimum requirements on board for the card .. i don't knwo what else you guys need to know ..

Thanks a bunch,

I know that the 6600gt's are pretty power hungry. Do you have enough power supply, and you did plug a 4 pin molex into the vid card right?

blasphemy101

wow that was a quick response.

yeah i plugged in the 4-pin .. how do i check to see if i have enough power supply?

i dont know if it runs fine - but, it sounds like it runs fine. the LED lights up and everything and thanks for the advice but yes ive tried both outputs and neither work.

i guess i should make sure that it's right for my mother baord a/o pw supply first before i blow anything up right?

there usually is something in BIOS i can do about it .. but i dont see anything. i stumbled over the aperture setting set at 64MB .. does that have anything to do with it?

dustyjay

Jay
what is the rated wattage of your power supply? Also If you are not using a quality brand Power supply even if rated 450 watts it may not provide the actual power rating on all the rails.

blasphemy101

indeed my power supply can juice up to 450 watts - does it mean that it should be able to handle my new card? and i can ex out that scenario from the current situation?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online