1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

on board sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rubeckf, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    I have sound connected to my DVD-ROM but there is only one sound cable. Is there a way to split it and put it to the CD-RW as well?
    Ruth

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, you can buy a splitter that has two ends on the one side. Generally there is more then one Audio plug on a motherboard, commonly labeled CD and AUX. There may also be a smaller white plug on the motherboard that matches some ends on the CD audio cables.

Now that said, that cable is only used with analog audio. If you use digital input you don't need that cable at all. If you have XP then it should work without any settings. In Windows 9X you can set the audio to digital in Multimedia settings in the Control Panel or in CD-ROM properties in Device Manager. There's also a Digital Input option in most players like Windows Media Player.

3. rubeckf

rubeckf Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ruth
    Thanks. I'm using XP home and I just tried it and it all works. I didn't realize that there was no need for the cable anymore. Live and Learn!
    Ruth

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice