1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

On board VGA issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 060456F, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 060456F

060456F Thread Starter

I have an on board VGA of 256MB RAM on it. But when I went to buy a 3D game in a local software shop, they said that game wouldn't work because my PC just have an on board VGA. They said if the VGA is a card which plugs to a slot, the game would work. What's the different? Can I add such a card additionally ? Whether the on board VGA & the card together give me high performence ?

2. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

You can't use the on board VGA and a card at the same time. You must use one or the other. the difference is that the onboard VGA probably doesn't have it's own dedicated memory. It uses regular RAM. A card will have it's own memory dedicated for graphics only. Anyway, it doesn't sound like you're going to get great graphics performance from a board like that, even if you use a card.

3. 060456F

060456F Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick reply. Ok if the memory is the case then I should get better performence with more RAM. I have just more than 1250MB now. If I add another 1GB or 2GB it should be ok, is it ?
    And the other question is that ; Then I won't be able to upgrade my VGA forever ?

4. IMiteBable2help

IMiteBable2help

With video hardware, it's not just a matter of the amount of memory. It's mainly a matter of speed. There are plenty of 512 MB video cards out there that outperform some of the new 1GB (1000MB) video cards. Twice the memory doesn't mean they are faster or better.

Take what the guy told you with a grain of salt. I think what he was getting at is that a machine with a high performance dedicated graphics card is generally better for 3D games. It doesn't mean you can't run 3D games with onboard graphics. However, it does sound like your machine really isn't going to run 3D games well. No serious gamer is going to use a machine with 256 MB onboard graphics. That's barely enough to run high-resolution videos.

Even my machine isn't all that great for 3D gaming. If I were a gamer, I would have built it differently. I would have put two, more expensive graphics cards in it in crossfire mode. It will still run 3D games the way it is now, just not all that well, and I have a 512 MB dedicated PCI Express 16X card.

If you're really into heavy 3D graphics games, you really do need a better machine. One that is built with graphics performance in mind. With the board I have, I wouldn't have to change the board, but I would have to spend another $400 or so on graphics cards.

5. 060456F

060456F Thread Starter

Thanks again IMiteBable2help

Ok I understand that I need a new PC from scratch for my requirements. Any way I use my PC almost always for my studies. I play a bit when I feel bore. Ok have a nice day.

6. Zygmo

Zygmo

Don't give up yet, 060. All you would have to do is buy a decent video card that will fit your machine (PCI video cards will fit nearly EVERY machine. Have the guys that are selling the game recommend one that will work with that game, and your computer, but don't necessarily BUY it from them). You will probably have to go into the BIOS and disable your onboard video, to get the card to work. (should be directions for that with the card. Sometimes it works automatically) Then, you will be good to go. It may improve the view in the other stuff you do, too.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/804041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice