1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

On Board Video Card Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Davidjudylee, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Davidjudylee

Davidjudylee Thread Starter

My original setup included an onboard videocard which copes fine with XP cannot cope with Windows 7 - apart from at the lowest resolution. I am not a gamer but would like advice on upgrading my video card. If I install a new card will I need to disable the old onboard card? If so how do I do this. What type of new card would be suitable foe Windows 7 - bearing in mind that I'm not a gamer, but enjoy watching videos, jpeg files etc. Any other issues I should be aware of? Thanks for any advice!

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Need to know about your PC.

Do you have PCIe slot, AGP or only PCI?

If your not sure just post the make and model of your PC and we can help you.

3. Davidjudylee

PCI slot only

4. Compiler

Compiler

5. Davidjudylee

Thanks for the advice - the Geoforce Card looks good. On installing will I need to disable the onboard card on my Intel 845G - and if so any clues on how to accomplish this?
    Thanks for any advice in advance.

6. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Turn on the PC and enter the BIOS (Likely f2 if on a Dell, DEL or another key is possible)

Dig through the menus, somewhere you will see Onboard Graphics, integrated video or something similar.

Disable, save and exit and let 'er rip!

7. Compiler

Compiler

It may also auto-disable or you tell BIOS that a PCI card is primary.

So what usually happens, the intel onboard is simply not used.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/882059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice