1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved On boot: Pane 'how do you want to open this file' opens

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by grissom, Nov 24, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. dckeks

dckeks

2. grissom

grissom Thread Starter

Thank you for your time and comments and the link to revo free uninstaller. I will take off ASCare, I've noticed that a scan with Malwarebytes reveals a good litter of PUPS all attributed to that program and that removing them renders the app unworking. Apart from that, (because PUPS arent actually a virus or Trojan) are you able to give pointers as to why it's best removed please?

Thank you again for looking through the uploads.

3. grissom

grissom Thread Starter

Sorry, I should have asked in my reply; I have Glary Utilities Pro and Ccleaner basic too. Iobit Advanced Stsem Cleaner/Care, whatever, always reg cleans the deepest and finds still more junk, - so are there any other reg cleaners that you do recommend please? Thank you.

4. dckeks

dckeks

No problem. Most techs do not recommend using registry cleaners, they can cause more harm then good. I do recommend and use ccleaner for clearing and cleaning browsers cache, temp files etc. Just do not run the registry cleaner option unless you know what you are doing and have current backups. I also like revo uninstaller for removing programs so that it removes all the leftovers etc left when uninstalling through windows.

5. grissom

grissom Thread Starter

Thank you. I didn't know that techs do not recommend registry cleaners I know that they can cause harm though - through personal experience.
    I know that after a relatively little online shopping/searching, there's a mass of privacy items and 'temporary' files to remove. It's mind boggling actually, so a reliable cleaner is necessary.
    I do keep a regular backup of my o/s, especially after a Windows update.
    I too am a fan of Revo uninstaller as it 'searches for leftovers' and deletes them, including program and registry items.

Apart from the update that I mentioned, my Pc's ills appear to be cured. I may have a problem later though as my settings wont search for new updates; it just fails to install the one that has failed. Perhaps there are no updates yet for this month though.

Thank you for your comments.

6. dckeks

dckeks

Have you installed the latest fall update 1709? Let me know if any of the following help

Option 1
    Run the Windows update troubleshooter as first step
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/wu170509.diagcab

Option 2
    Run the following commands from the command prompt

Sc Stop wuauserv

Rd /s /q C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

Restart computer and try updating

Option 3
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/971058/how-do-i-reset-windows-update-components

7. grissom

grissom Thread Starter

Hi, Thanks for the new advice.
    The kb that will not instal says the following:- Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4041994) - Error 0x80070643.

Plese correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that v 1709 is the fall update?

I've run the update troubleshooter several times and still cannot update that particular kb.

If I do have the fall update, I'll wait to see whether other updates work before tryng any other steps (which are noted, thank you). I have also previously deleted the failed update from its folder in Windows to make it re-download the update afresh. It didn't make the update install. But I can look up how to to it again so that it searches for all updates; hopefully.

Thanks again for good advice.

8. dckeks

dckeks

Yes, 1709 is the fall update. Let me know if still have issues

9. grissom

grissom Thread Starter

I've received all of todays updates and they installed properly. Just the original problematic KB4041994 that still will not install. But as it doesn't prevent important updates, no problem.
    Thanks for all of the help.

10. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

That is "Windows 10 Version 1709 (KB4041994)" and will not install until ALL of it is downloaded and you have given it permission to install.

However there are some machines that this upgrade will NOT install.
    Do a Google on "Windows 10 Version 1709 (KB4041994) will not install" with out the quotes and you will find all kind of issues.

11. jenae

jenae

Hi, good to see someone using cmds to get info (rather then having people install executables) Dckeks you can append the > 0 & notepad 0 to many cmd prompt cmds to receive an output directly into notepad. For Poweshell you need to use |out-file c:\XXX .txt, then on a separate line notepad c:\XXX.txt opens directly to notepad. This makes it easier for the OP to send us the info.

Note:- because forums handle fonts differently we usually ask for the notepad to be saved and added as a attachment (this ensures the read format stays as we want.

Some examples:-

schtasks /query /v > 0 & notepad 0

ipconfig /all > 0 & notepad 0

Instead of speccy we can find most of what we want using:-

echo > 0 & systeminfo | find /V /I "hotfix" | find /V "KB" >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0 (this is a good example of how cmds can be linked together)

For Powershell we use :-

Get-NetIPConfiguration | out-file C:\config.txt
    notepad c:\config.txt

Get-CimInstance Win32_StartupCommand | Select-Object Name, command, Location, User | Format-List | out-file c:\file.txt
    start notepad C:\file.txt

To run a conventional cmd prompt cmd in powershell at the prompt type:- cmd (press enter) opens cmd prompt within powershell, you could then run for example:-

wmic useraccount list full /format:List > 0 & notepad 0

We literally have hundreds of these cmds, since many of our clients are in remote parts of the world.

12. grissom

grissom Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for all the advice.

I've looked at some forums and links on 'Windows 10 Version 1709 (KB4041994) will not install', I'd no idea that it was causing so many problems.

I notice comments that version updates disable the 'system restore' function and I've noted that recently these updates disable my system restore too. Something to remember to check on and re-enable after upgrades! This 'wipes' all restore points and may be necessary in a substantial O/S upgrade. If so, they should at least mention it so that it is re-enabled a.s.a.p.

Also, I've noted that many people had their account logon changed and were unable to access their own system. I had 2x startup programs added too. They were the of the username of my pc - and it was those that windows was querying which program to use to open them. Once disabled in startup, that problem ceased.

I use O&O shutup; everyone should see the spyware that it shows up installed withing Windows 10. I use it selectively to disable the worst items and I think that is the reason that the 2 startup items did not change my login details and prevent me from logging into my O/S.

13. dckeks

dckeks

Great. Thanks for that information

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200066