1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

On Bootup Issue...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bglaze, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bglaze

bglaze Thread Starter

I am having trouble narrowing down exactly what the problem with my desktop PC is. On bootup my machine gets a few seconds into the POST and then reboots itself over and over and over for about 5 minutes before finally beaking through and booting up completely. This phenomenon doesn't occur every single time I boot up my machine--sometimes it boots up perfectly without going through this reboot phase--but if the PC has been off for 15+ hours it happens almost like clockwork. I get no POST errors, so I was thinking the problem was more than likely with my power supply and not with my MoBo, but can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks,
    BG

[Edit] Important Note: Once the computer successfully boots up, I have no problems at all. My computer never reboots by itself. I have no performance issues. I can leave the PC on as long as I want. The problem is only when I am booting up the PC. [/Edit]

2. bglaze

bglaze Thread Starter

bump

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you post some system specs for us to work with it would help you get an answer. Mobo, CPU, Ram, Video, Power supply Manufacturer and wattage rating, OS, plus anything else that might put a power draw on the power supply.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds like something needs to warm up.

I'd round up a hair dryer and let the system get throughly cold. Then, warm up one item, like the hard disk, and try booting the system. You can also use cooling spray to selectively cool components until you get to one that causes the problem.

5. bglaze

bglaze Thread Starter

Motherboard = Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    Memory = Corsair XMS
    Processor = AMD Athlon XP 1700+
    Video = GeForce FX 5500
    Power Supply = Generic 350W
    OS = XP Pro

6. bglaze

bglaze Thread Starter

bump

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    That power supply might be your problem. Power supplies are an area you really do not want to get cheap with. They can cause problems from the very beginning, or wait for a period of time. I would ditch the generic 350 and go with something like an Antec 450. Something with a good brand name on it anyway. Sparkle, vantec, Thermaltake, these are just a few good ones. And go with a a 450 or better. You didnt list the things like disc drives that are power hogs, so if you have 2 Hdds and one or 2 Optical drives you are probably taxing that power supply pretty close to its limit. And a cold machine takes a little extra ommph to get it going than a warm machine does.

8. bglaze

bglaze Thread Starter

Okay, I went and bought a new power supply and it fixed me right up. I bought an Antec 350, and everything seems to be working like new. No more weird querks. Thanks everyone for your help. =P

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice