1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

On Dell C521 "repair" takes me to looping twixt Dell and Windows screens

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zkhul, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zkhul

zkhul Thread Starter

After repair of Windows XP Home with Dell C 521, computer now j it just loops between Dell F12 scrren and Windowws screen followed by a quick flashby of a blue screen with white print. When clicking any safemode item, I just get a scrolling screen for a few seconds. I can't do a reinstall and a format as there is nuch important info that can afford to lose. Can someone help. Thanmx

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Did you try doing a system restore? You might have to hit a different f key than you do for safe mode. You will need to get to recovery settings. I have seen from a couple of sites ctrl + f11 will get you there.

3. zkhul

zkhul Thread Starter

Thanks, I did try the various f keys with Ctrl as well as Fn and didn't work on this Dell C 521. I believe Ctrl F!! preeviously took me to an option to format and I definitely don't want to do that and lose my files. In fact reinstall from repair console to the same
    NTFS drive rwhich has my files,ather than Fat or Fat32 said it had to format and I wud lose files."Repair" (r) on the console dropped me to C:\Windows where I tried to rename NTFS.sys and copy a new and later one that I took from my laptop, But it said "cannot copy wild cards and indexed (???) files. At one point I could read the flashby blue screen which had said NTFS.sys was missing or corrupt. It wasn't missing but in case it was corrupt, I tried to replace it. Plus it doesn't seem to recognize my cd and usb slots. I've been trying different things for 3 days andf hoped someone had the same problem with steps to a solutuin, but no go. The original error msg when ft first failed to boot was missing or corrupt ntoskrnl, but I guess the repair process took care of that Can u suggest anything else?

4. zkhul

zkhul Thread Starter

Daughter tells me her Dell C521 was working, but just sluggish before she talked to PCHealthFix about cleaning up her computer at which time they tried installing their program that she had paid for and downloaded,and said there was an error and they cud'nt install it or get to safe mode due to error "ntoskrnl.dll". I went to F12 and accessed CD Rom with the Dell Recovery console and pressed "r" for repair. After going thru its gyrations, it came up with error "NSFT.sys is missing or corrupted. Tried a second repair but it resonded with C:\Windows, but none of the executable files wud work such as C:\Windows\System32\Restore\rstrui.exe. Do you think PCHealthFix actions had anything to do with it?

5. zkhul

zkhul Thread Starter

I'm sorry, I postedt his to myself instead of replying to you and wondered why noone responded, lol :

Thanks, I did try the various f keys with Ctrl as well as Fn and didn't work on this Dell C 521. I believe Ctrl F!! preeviously took me to an option to format and I definitely don't want to do that and lose my files. In fact reinstall from repair console to the same NTFS drive rwhich has my files,ather than Fat or Fat32 said it had to format and I wud lose files."Repair" (r) on the console dropped me to C:\Windows where I tried to rename NTFS.sys and copy a new and later one that I took from my laptop, But it said "cannot copy wild cards and indexed (???) files. At one point I could read the flashby blue screen which had said NTFS.sys was missing or corrupt. It wasn't missing but in case it was corrupt, I tried to replace it. Plus it doesn't seem to recognize my cd and usb slots. I've been trying different things for 3 days andf hoped someone had the same problem with steps to a solutuin, but no go. The original error msg when ft first failed to boot was missing or corrupt ntoskrnl, but I guess the repair process took care of that Can u suggest anything else?================

Now while waiting, I did several things including CHKDSK/R which found and recovered a corrupt file. The Windows XP reinstallation disk recognized my 2nd attempt to repair and took me to where I almost thought the problem was solved - the Windows screen looked as if it was going to open to desktop, then lo, a big black screen with the words safemode wasi n all four corners, and the msg "Windows XP cannot run setup in safemode. Setup will close now"
    After that the blue screen So why does repair take you to C:\Windows? Can you load your programs from there? It won't show Dir of USB or cd rom drives

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Your daughter should've come here first to resolve the sluggishness issue instead of paying someone to remote-access her computer and do "who knows what".

It's my guess that Windows XP is damaged to the point that a clean reinstall and fresh start may be the best and only option.

I didn't find anything on PCHealthFix, so I'm not sure which company or site she used.

--------------------------------------------------------

7. zkhul

zkhul Thread Starter

Thanx for your response. I agree she should not have, but she writes and have much stuff on her puter which she has to get to so she was being impatient and impetuous )):. The company/site she used was PcHealthKit - not Fix. I did google it and saw some negative stuff about it. A clean install would lose her files, right? With the help of this TechGuy site, I have been able to resolve problem with 3-4 computers in the house over the years, but this//... I have been able to get Recovery disk to repair to the point after password it gets to Windows screen like its about to bring up desktop, but then reverts to the black empty screen with "safemode",on all corners, then says it can't run setup in safe mode setup will close. Upon rebooting it begins looping again.I need help. Thanx

8. Crazy10

Crazy10

Use a Linux CD to back her files up on to a external media. Reinstall Windows. Put her files back on.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  10. zkhul

zkhul Thread Starter

Hi thanks dor the suggestiuon. I rhink my DJ son may have an exterior drive, but I can't get to him anytime soon. Where do I get a Linux CD? I don't know anyone who uses it Why specifically Linux?

11. Crazy10

Crazy10

Get Linux HERE. Have you got a USB stick? The reason I say Linux is so you can back her files up by using a live CD.

12. zkhul

zkhul Thread Starter

Re PcHealthKit, when daughter called them to help her install it as she had only downloaded their program (she's not very computer savvy) that's when they said they couldn' install it as "something was wrong" with her computer altho the computer was operative before she called them albeit working sluggishly. Do you think at that time, tho they said they couldn;t finish, they may have used that time to infect or damage some files so they could offer to "fix" it or $250.00 as they did - and may have caused error code 0X0000007E (damaged files) which appeared on the blue screen the first time it popped up? FiNALLY ARE YOU KNOWLEDGeable about the effectiveness of malwarebytes in cleaning up such a mess.Thank you for any FURTHER information.

13. zkhul

zkhul Thread Starter

. Did you see the following:

I"m sorry. I thought I was posting to you, but was posting to me (It's been a long while since I've been here) Did you see this:
    I'm sorry, I postedt his to myself instead of replying to you and wondered why noone responded, lol :

Thanks, I did try the various f keys with Ctrl as well as Fn and didn't work on this Dell C 521. I believe Ctrl F!! preeviously took me to an option to format and I definitely don't want to do that and lose my files. In fact reinstall from repair console to the same NTFS drive rwhich has my files,ather than Fat or Fat32 said it had to format and I wud lose files."Repair" (r) on the console dropped me to C:\Windows where I tried to rename NTFS.sys and copy a new and later one that I took from my laptop, But it said "cannot copy wild cards and indexed (???) files. At one point I could read the flashby blue screen which had said NTFS.sys was missing or corrupt. It wasn't missing but in case it was corrupt, I tried to replace it. Plus it doesn't seem to recognize my cd and usb slots. I've been trying different things for 3 days andf hoped someone had the same problem with steps to a solutuin, but no go. The original error msg when ft first failed to boot was missing or corrupt ntoskrnl, but I guess the repair process took care of that Can u suggest anything else?================

Now while waiting, I did several things including CHKDSK/R which found and recovered a corrupt file. The Windows XP reinstallation disk recognized my 2nd attempt to repair and took me to where I almost thought the problem was solved - the Windows screen looked as if it was going to open to desktop, then lo, a big black screen with the words safemode wasi n all four corners, and the msg "Windows XP cannot run setup in safemode. Setup will close now"
    After that the blue screen So why does repair take you to C:\Windows? Can you load your programs from there? It won't show Dir of USB or cd rom drives

14. zkhul

zkhul Thread Starter

Can't get to internet on the damaged C 521 Dell Can you download a Linux live disk from any computer and it will boot any computer?

15. zkhul

zkhul Thread Starter

Just a thought. Is not backing up her files to external drive backing up the problem also? Or you can choose just backing up your documents and email for instance?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1114543

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice