1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

On reinstalling XP, won't copy all the files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Wiskerluv, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Thread Starter

Hi - I have been trying to reinstall XP on my older Dell. Haven't used it for almost a year so I forgot why I have to reinstall XP. The PC wouldn't boot up so I used boot floppies that I had for such an emergency.

Anyhow, used the floppies, then was asked to insert the XP disk for the Windows Setup. However, there was a ton of files that could not be copied. (Don't know why). It kept saying this file or that file couldn't be copied and that XP would not install correctly. When some of the copied files made it to 100% was prompted to restart the PC and the installation would continue....so then I got the Windows Logon screen, then I got a fatal error message. There were so many numbers and X's that I couldn't write them all down. The PC kept shutting down with this error. I was so excited to see the Logon screen and then "poof" nothing.

Hope someone can help as this PC is maybe 4 yrs. old and would like to have it as a backup or give to my brother to use.

THANKS!.

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

If you have more than one memory module installed, then try installing XP with just ONE of the modules installed. This, more often than not, does the trick . ;)

3. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Thread Starter

Thanks Jack but I don't even know what a memory module is....where do I look? The PC only has 256 MB RAM. Also I am a 66 yr. old lady who loves to tinker with PC's to see if I can solve the problem. Too bad I don't know about the module. Can you kindly inform me of how to do this? Much appreciated.

4. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Memory Module = a stick of RAM
    Your 256MB may be one stick or it may be 2 sticks of 128MB

5. Wiskerluv

Wiskerluv Thread Starter

It's probably only 1 stick that I know of. I don't know what else to do to get this darn thing going.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You might try being sure that the drive is completely empty before trying to install. Hopefully, the CD is clean and unscratched.

Erase the drive:

Darik's Boot and Nuke

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Hard drive is probably "toast". Either the hard drive is NG, the cd is dirty or cracked or the cd drive is NG, those are the possibilities.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!