1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

On windows 98 the find All Files tab

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Dimeinga, Nov 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dimeinga

Dimeinga Thread Starter

I am trying to delete the name and location on the Find All files and I cannot.. can someone help me... thanks, a bunch. Dee

thank you for responding but that's not it....

O.k when you got to START tab and click on FIND FILES AND FOLDERS..... and when you go there there is a list of the files that you had previously searched for.. that's what I want deleted.. the previous searches. Under Name and Location - it says Named then below that it says Containing text then below that it says look in ... the Named location is where the previous searches are and I am trying to delete that... .... Hope you or anyone can help.

Thanks Savvy for your help I hope I explained myself.. it's hard when you don't know what your talking about.. and believe me I am computer dumb,, Hope to speak to or anyone soon... thanks again, Dee :)

http://hometown.aol.com/dimeinga2/myhomepage/profile.html

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I need you to explain a little better exactly where & on what you mean. Ok?

Savvy :)

* If you mean you have tried to locate a file in Find/files & folders & now your window is displaying what it located , then all you have to do is close it. Somehow I don't think thats what you mean though.

3. Sharon D

Sharon D

I think what Dee means is that she(?) want to clear the Search results in Start>Find. Is that right? If it is you can do it this way via the registry: Start>Run>Type in regedit>Ok. They are located here for Win98\SE:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER_Software_Microsoft_Windows_Current Version_Explorer_Doc Find Spec MRU

Click on the ''Doc Find Spec MRU'' Key in the left pane. You should then see the Find Files history entries in the right pane. You can right click on each entry and delete them from there. BTW, don't forget to "back up" the "Doc Find Spec MRU" registry key before deleting or modifying anything in the registry. To back up do this:

Highlight the Registry Key you want to modify (folder in the lefthand pane), click on the "Registry" Toolbar button up top, choose "Export Registry File", give it a name and save it. To Export a registry file means that you are making a copy of the key you are going to change, and then you save it somewhere safe and convenient, like the Desktop or My Documents. I created a folder in My Documents called "Deleted Registry Keys" for keys that I've modified or deleted. If the Registry changes you made have bad effects, you can always go find the Registry keys (.reg files) you saved and rightclick and Merge (or doubleclick) and change the Registry keys back to what they were originally before you made the changes. I do this each and every time I "play" around in the registry.
    Let us know if this is what you were looking for or if you need further clarification. BTW, if you have WinMe let me know because the MRU key is in a different location in the registry.
    Hope your weekend is going well for you. :) sharon

4. hewee

hewee

If you don't want do use regedit you can just do more searches and it will replace the ones there.
    start with a search for 1 then 2 etc. till the ones you want are gone.

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

If you have not gone to the HKEY & worked on this yet... I'd do exactly what hewee suggested...

simply go back to find /files& folders & do random searches for several different things... like photo names or music titles etc... deleting the list you are trying to delete thru rotation. That way you don't mess around in the registry.

Savvy :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice