1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Onboard graphics connector broken

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ifinn, Nov 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ifinn

ifinn Thread Starter

My sister didn't know the video cable "unscrewed" from the back of the PC, so she kept yanking on it. Hence, the onboard video connector broke off from the motherboard (came unsoldered).

emachines.com told me to either replace the motherboard or purchase a PCI or AGP video board. I opted to buy a Radeon 7000 32 MB AGP video board.

When I turned the computer on, I get a black screen. I can not get to the BIOS setup, Windows, etc. Even if I hold down the F8 key, I have no idea what the system is doing, because I can't "see" anything.

The Problem: I can't load the required software for the drivers because I don't have the video working. The PC doesn't know the new AGP board is there when I boot up. All I get is a black screen.

Does anyone know how I can work around this?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Irene

2. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest

she kept yanking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry, but i would be FURIOUS!!!!! what was she doing back there anyways if she didn't know what she was doing!?!?!?!?

3. ifinn

ifinn Thread Starter

Yes, I know. I "asked" her to bring the PC over to my house so I could work on another problem. I thought she would have had my niece disconnect everything.......but I was WRONG.........

Never again...............

Can you help?

Irene

4. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest

well...thing is....you have the old conector broke off. the only way to get the AGP working is to USE the onboard...then disable it....then enable the AGP.

and in your situation, that's a no-can-do.

I don't know what to tell you. sounds like you need a new motherboard.

or take it in some place

5. ifinn

ifinn Thread Starter

What about soldering the old video connection?

6. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest

i wouldn't try it YOURSELF, but you could take it someplace to do that

7. srhoades

srhoades

just hit whatever key gets you in the bios and just change it from memory, or find a manual and navigate from the pics. A little tricky but definatly doable.

8. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest

that would work......you could try that.......that's what a techie would do

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/177051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice