1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Onboard graphics OK but no card display?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JackieSmackie, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackieSmackie

JackieSmackie Thread Starter

Hey guys:

Sorry unfortunately I am not very computer savvy (and my comma key is jammed; sorry again). I have been messing with this computer for weeks with no luck.

I don't know exactly what kind of computer this is but it is a Gateway and it says 812 GM; Windows XP OS. My motherboard is an MS-6741 (also says N1996; not sure what that is). The card I am trying to get to work is an nVidia GeForce 6200 LE.

Let me start by clarifying the problem: for a long time the card worked great. I have a habit of leaving my computer in sleep mode for a while and one day I heard a very loud pop (possibly related?) and the next day my video card didn't work anymore. The onboard graphics still work great -- UNTIL I go to the Netflix site (I use this computer primarily to watch videos so this is a problem). As soon as the website loads the mouse gets jumpy and so does video (audio is flawless). Even Hulu works perfect--Netflix is the only problem. I tried upgrading Flash and Silverlight -- no luck there. Not sure what else to do.

So this leads me to my real problem. I think the computer is reading the card (occasionally) because when I have the card in but VGA connected to onboard graphics (forgive my lack of diction..) there usually is no display. I take the card out and the display is fine. I connect the VGA (also tried S-video) to the card and still no display. The computer is booting up fine; it's just the dang card.

SO here is what my Googling has led me to thus far:

• I tried updating my card driver but nVidia has to read the card in order to do that and it keeps telling me it isn't there (when I connect through onboard graphics with card in; so I guess sometimes the motherboard doesn't read it).
    • I have installed the chipset driver (K8T800 is the one I installed).
    • I even updated BIOS because it came up on the Gateway support site under my mobo (although I have no idea what it did/was supposed to do..)
    I have given up experimenting. I don't mind buying a new graphics card but I'd like to make sure this one is dead first. Aaaaaany help would be greatly appreciated (including a fix to the Netflix problem). Thank you!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice