1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ONBOARD video card broke and now i cant see anything on my screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ace159357, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ace159357

ace159357 Thread Starter

ok about a month ago my old ONBOARD video card broke and i bought a new pci-E nvidea 8600 and a new power supply......but heres the problem, how do i install a video card if i cant see anything on my screen....if it helps i have a gateway gt5034,,and the computer beeps once on startup.....someone please help

2. ace159357

ace159357 Thread Starter

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You might try installing a video card into either the AGP or PCI slot. It may be possible that the computer will recognize it upon bootup. Could be cheaper and easier than replacing a motherboard.

4. ace159357

ace159357 Thread Starter

no its a pci-E slot....it even has a sticker that says it

5. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

I thought pci-E was pci express, no? But isn't that still a pci slot you can, as advised above, install yr new card into and C if it is recognzied & embraced on boot?

I would think express might make this more likely, no?

6. ace159357

ace159357 Thread Starter

pci-E is pci-express but it doesn't recognise it

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What doesn't recognize it. The computer or Windows. There is a big difference.

Did you get a decent warantee with the computer. Most I recommend having a 3 years. Amazing how often it is needed. So much can go wrong in that amount of time.

8. ace159357

ace159357 Thread Starter

i cant tell what isnt it recognising it because i cant see anything on my screen thanks to my broken onboard video card ......and i hade a 2 year warrantie that ended 3 months ago (bad luck)

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

And that's why I recommend three years or longer.

So you hear the computer booting, the hard drive being accessed a normal amount of time but no video. Have you tried using a video card that has the drives included with Windows? Nothing fancy. Just to boot to. Of course the problem at this point is that you can't get to the BIOS to change the video priority. So another thing I recommend for people that have an on-board video card is to get another one and set that as the default. Saved many a motherboard and didn't cost them much.

10. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

All Bob"s observations/suggestions/questions=excellent.

I don suppose trying to boot into safe mode would help, right?

And even though re the usual irony, your full waranty has expired, aren't U eligible for some kind of limited, but maybe valuable support say by email using yr serial number?

11. ace159357

ace159357 Thread Starter

what drives are included with windows

12. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

13. ace159357

ace159357 Thread Starter

nope tryed that ill have to be charged

14. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

Rats. So sorry. But again, probably U still qualify for limited tech support by the Mfg. worth a try, no? The make the thing, they should know more specifics indigenous 2 your particular system. No matter how outsourced they probably R. Wut do U have 2 loose?

15. ace159357

ace159357 Thread Starter

i have nothing to lose bu whats mfg

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/659452

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice