One 74GB Raptor & Seagate 500GB or Two 500GB in Raid-0 ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

micko_escalade

Hi all!

Doing my homework and making a list of all parts for my new rig,

so far...

Intel C2D E6600
Asus P5B-E
Still deciding on memory
ATI 1950Pro 256MB

I already have one Seagate 500GB,
my question is
would it be better to have one WD 74GB Raptor and one Seagate 500GB
or
Two 500GB Seagates ?
in any case I wanna setup my new system in Raid-0
Mostly it will be used for data transfer and occasional gaming, the faster the better,

any help is appreciated!

micko_escalade said:
Hi all!
would it be better to have one WD 74GB Raptor and one Seagate 500GB
or
Two 500GB Seagates ?
in any case I wanna setup my new system in Raid-0
Mostly it will be used for data transfer and occasional gaming, the faster the better,

any help is appreciated!
I'd use two 500gb's, unless you want to loose 426gb of storage space...

Raid 0 will see the 500gb as a 74gb drive...

RAID 0 is the performance side of the house. RAID 0 or "striping" uses two drives in conjunction with one other for speed. Data is divided when it is written to both drives so that the workload is balanced and thus more efficient. The data is broken up into chunks or stripes when it is alternatingly stored. There is no redundancy of data with RAID 0. You should be using two identical drives if you are setting up a RAID 0 but this is not required. Two different drives can be used but at a small cost. Keeping in mind that the workload is being balanced, the computer sets the drives up to be equal. If you have an 80 and a 120 gb drive, RAID 0 will have your machine treat them as two 80 gb drives, ignoring the extra 40 gb of space on drive two.
http://www.overclockercafe.com/Articles/RAID/index.htm

crjdriver

If you are going to setup raid, you need two drives of the same size, cache, and speed. While it is not absolutely necessary, to do otherwise is just asking for problems.

I would get two raptors in raid0 and use the 500gig for backups, image files, etc. When you run raid, a backup plan is essential.

crjdriver

If you run raid0 and one disk fails, you loose ALL data. With double the number of disks [2] you have twice the chance of failure. I always recommend a second physical drive for backups; raid or no raid.

If you run raid1, then you do not loose everything if one drive fails however that does nothing when you get a virus, bad driver install, etc.

Data you do not backup is data you do not care about.

Unless you need the disk space, You might want to get smaller,
faster disks.
Mirror sets are great for redundancy, but they add a bit more
Overhead to your system. Faster RPM drives will help recover
Lost speed
Just a thought.

micko_escalade

Arghhh, I already placed an order
my new rig.

Intel C2D E6600
ASUS P5B Deluxe
Corsair XMS2 2GB
ATI 1950Pro
2 x Seagate 500GB Barracuda 7200.10
Antec P180 Case
Antec Neo HE 550w PS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online