1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One Alternative to XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Phantom010, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

Hello everyone!

I haven't been around much in the past two years or so. I noticed, unfortunately, I'm not the only one who disappeared... When Microsoft pulled the plug on XP, I just slowly lost interest. I despise the newer Windows operating systems and I hate to be forced into things. I'm not the type to buy new devices to follow trends... People have dumped XP a little too easily, out of fear of an eminent doomsday! The apocalyptic predictions and threats from Microsoft finally never materialized... Microsoft is not a charity organization... I spent four years with XP after the deadline without incident. There were ways to make XP comfortably safe with a few tweaks and common sense.

However, all good things must come to an end. Most browsers do not support XP anymore, the same for most antivirus companies, and you can't install new software. I had to find an alternative, outside the Microsoft family of course. I tried a few Linux distributions, but decided Linux was not for me, and especially not for a family. You need to be particularly computer savvy in order to find your way around Linux, and have a lot of patience, which I have little left. I also looked at Apple, but it's way too expensive for what it's worth and all devices are and must be Apple devices.

In the meantime, other than using my old XP machine, I was enjoying the simplicity of my Android smartphone. Then, it struck me! Why not Chrome OS? Not a Chromebook, but a Chromebox! A laptop is not only slower than a desktop, but I also wished to keep my own devices (large Samsung monitor, Logitech speakers and keyboard, HP All-in-One printer...). A Chromebox is a mini desktop computer that fits in one hand! Mine is an Asus Chromebox2-G013U. It's powered by an Intel Core i3-5010U (5th gen) 2.10 GHz Processor, quite efficient for Chrome OS, 4 GB RAM (can be upgraded to 16, which is IMO, overkill) and supports 4K/UHD playback! Asus even makes boxes with an Intel Core i7 (4th gen) Processor. The little machine is completely quiet and dust-free since it has no cooling fan. Some might argue it only has a 16 GB internal hard drive. No worries though. I plugged in my little Seagate (USB 3.0) 2 TB external hard drive into one of the Chromebox's four USB 3.0 ports. There's also a SD card slot, HDMI port, and Bluetooth capability.

If you're already used to the Google Chrome browser, Chrome OS is Chrome on steroids! The computer turns on in under 5 seconds and you're up and running directly in the Chrome browser. If you're used to Windows' ridiculously annoying startup time, you'll find this SO refreshing! It also shuts down as fast! No more maintenance needed, no more antivirus, no more updates to check and no drivers to install. Everything is automatically recognized when plugged in. It's a no-brainer. If the plug-and-play approach appeals to you, this concept is for you. It's fast, cheap, simple and very safe. Even grandpa and the kids can learn how to use it very quickly.

The down side, for some though, is that you cannot install your Windows programs if you desperately need to. If you're a gamer, it's probably not for you. Chrome OS can play games, but it's not for "hardcore" gamers. If you do a lot of video editing, this might not be the ideal solution for you either. However, for most of us, the primary use for a computer is the Internet and office tasks! With my Chromebox, I can browse the Internet, watch Netflix or YouTube, check my email, use the complete Microsoft Office Online suite and much much more. You have access to the Chrome Web Store and some models can or will have access to the Google Play Store. Thousands of free or cheap apps and extensions are available. Some think you can only save to the Cloud. While documents are automatically saved to the Cloud, you can also save them to your external hard drive if you wish. You could also save files to your internal 16 GB drive, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I posted this in the XP forum to give you an alternative to your old OS and machine. If you wish to browse the Internet safely, or to practice online shopping or banking, Chrome OS can be a cheap and very safe alternative for you. For further questions or discussions about Chrome OS, please post in the Other Mobile Devices forum, thanks. I just recently received my Chromebox, but I'll be happy to answer questions after I get better acquainted with Chrome OS (I never used the Chrome browser before). The Chromebook is more popular than the Chromebox, but both are almost unknown. There's very little information available for Chrome OS on the Web, probably because Google is ahead of its time, and people are afraid of stepping out of their comfort zone. I even had to buy my machine online, as I couldn't find it anywhere in stores.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    snuffleufflegus likes this.
  2. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

I had no idea! I looked this up after i saw your post.I was amazed. small,compact,upgradeable and extremely fast.With alot of other options!! I don't do much besides use photoshop,microsoft office,facebook..etc.This seems like it would be ideal for that purpose.I could always still keep my laptop with windows 7 for other things as it still works great!!.

Thankyou for posting this :)

3. Phantom010

You're very welcome! :)

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I've been running Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit in a testing machine since it reached end-of-life(EOL) in April 2014.
    It's set up with the POSReady registry tweak and is manually updated every month.
    The Mozilla Firefox 52.x ESR browser works fine in it, but it plans to drop support later this year.
    Google Chrome(which I hate) and other browsers no longer support Windows XP, and Internet Explorer 8 is too old.
    It still supports most of the apps that I use, but it no longer supports several others.
    I love Windows 7, so I'll keep using it in most of my computers until I'm eventually forced to switch to Windows 10.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good

First Name:
    John
    XP was fine for it's time, and I had very few complaints.

I did move up to Win 7 with a new computer and all went well.
    With the MS push to move to Win10, I noticed more and more security and critical updates seemed to be slowing down my computer just a little after being installed each time.
    Then rollup updates came out and I had nothing but problems requiring one Win 7 to be reimaged because the update corrupted the restore function and my other Win 7 successfully used the restore function. Problem with each, slow downs each boot until one of the two wouldn't boot. And it was an issue of only a half a dozen re-boots.

So they are relegated to offline duties.
    Puppy Linux on a Live DVD became my go to online operating system.
    I'm now at peace with the world :D

(well, most of the time :D )

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    When Win 7 no longer gets updates (Jan. 2020), I'll pull the Win 7 computers off the internet and surf safely on an android tablet.
    I've been preparing for this since I bought my first android tablet in 2014. Android is more user friendly than linux.

Phantom010 likes this.
  7. Phantom010

Yep! And if you're used to Android, Chrome OS is just as simple, and both are from Google, but Chrome OS can be used on a desktop computer with all normal desktop devices.

8. Phantom010

You'd find Chrome OS a lot simpler and safer than Windows 10! It's a no-nonsense OS based on Linux. Nothing faster. Unlike Windows, everything opens instantly. No lag whatsoever! Quite refreshing!

9. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good

First Name:
    John
    I've never tried Android or Chrome OS.
    So I can't make a comparison.
    But TahrPup Live DVD has been dead simple for me.
    And since everything on the Live DVD runs in ram with out the need for a hard drive, it is quick.

And if I can do it, anyone can :D

10. Phantom010

If you're happy with Linux, by all means, don't change a thing. Chrome OS is one of the best solutions for the plug-and-play concept. When I got my Chromebox, I plugged in my devices, and once powered up, everything was automatically recognized and I was browsing the Web in seconds. I had nothing to install whatsoever. I then proceeded to add a few extensions to the Chrome browser to customize it to my liking but that's all. It's a no-brainer. A very good alternative for the elders or families in general.

11. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good

First Name:
    John
    Pretty much the same experience I've had with the Puppy distros.

There are a lot more viable alternatives to Windows today than there was a decade ago. Much more friendly now and in comparison to Win 10, imo.

12. Phantom010

If I had known about Chrome OS before, I would've made the switch a year ago. So many people today, if not most of them, are on their tablets or smartphones full time. That's probably the reason why computer help forums are dying or almost dead... For the past couple of years, I'm almost never on my desktop anymore. That will change now with my Chromebox. It's an inexpensive solution since you can keep most of your old devices. And it's much better to watch a movie, or a Web page with a real computer screen than on a cell phone...

Johnny-be-Good likes this.
  13. 737Simpilot

737Simpilot Temporarily Banned

[totally irrelevant ranting removed by mod]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2018
  14. 737Simpilot

737Simpilot Temporarily Banned

This is more than likely due to social networks, as asinine as they are. I still can't figure out Reddit's layout.

This very forum software called XenForo has social networkng-like qualities. Like I can @ tag someone.

15. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good

First Name:
    John
    Just an observation.

MS Windows is a 'do-all' for the general public. From the concept of computing, as in data manipulation and storage, to social interaction. To be that, it's become incredibly bloated and as more 'activities' (fads) are 'invented', so grows the bloat and the security bugs in the new lines of code along with new conflicts.

MS has made the public software addicts with dependence upon the MS platform.

Myself, I have 18 years of personal/family and financial data stored in formats that only play on a MS Windows platform, not Linux or any variant of Linux.

When I bought my first computer and entered the Internet, I realized my skills weren't good enough to keep my data base safe, so I set aside an offline computer and divorced my Internet browsing from my real life ( :D )

It's not that I don't trust the integrity of MS ( actually I don't :cool: ) it's that I don't trust their ability code for and update security competently. This I learned long ago from all the botched code and updates ever since first experiencing Win 98se.

Is TahrPup perfect? No. Code written by mankind is going to be fallible because that is the nature of man.
    But it's a damn site more stable and secure than what I experienced with MS Windows.

So I use what I need that works the best for me.
    Win7 offline and TahrPup online :)

Phantom010 likes this.
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1208097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice