1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One Beep on POST

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MarkPark, Jan 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MarkPark

MarkPark Thread Starter

My Dell Dimension 4100 emits a single beep during the POST on every boot-up. Dell Tech support site says it's a memory refresh failure, and to re-seat the memory modules. I've done this, as well as test each of the two modules separately, and have also inserted a third memory module. In all cases I still get the single beep on boot-up. (The PC hangs up regularly, doesn't always shut down properly, and sometimes hangs on startup.)

What else could be the cause of the beep, and how to fix it?

Mark

2. Sponsor

3. KeithKman

KeithKman

Not really sure, but make sure all your cables are plugged in and are making a good connection.

I would call Dell back and tell them you have tested every stick and still get the problem. I'm sure they would help you out.

4. cybertech

cybertech Moderator

You could try the Dell Diagnostics. Download them from their site.

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Have you tried booting with any extra cards (ie. network, sound) and drives (cd-rom, cd-rw, dvdrw) removed.. Could be a motherboard resource problem, or a defective device.

6. MarkPark

MarkPark Thread Starter

Thanks for the Dell Diagnostics program tip. I downloaded and ran it -- it indicates that all components are operating optimally! But it still beeps on start-up. . . I don't have time now, but I'll try removing cards next. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

A single beep at during post is usually normal. It means that it passed the post (Power On Self Test) It is when you get multiple beeps or no beep at all that there is usually a problem during post. Which tests you Ram and cpu and power supplied to the mother board among a few otherthings. I have a Dell Dimension 2300 and it beeps one time at every start up. As does the computer I am using now. And every computer I have ever used since the early 80's that had a system speaker connected to it.

8. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

Yeah thats normal, but if it gives you beeps and nothing on the screen, thats when you post a "Help me" thread.

9. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

Also if you think its annoying just unplug the speaker wire on your MoBo.

10. NotRite²

NotRite²

Or enable "Quiet Boot" in BIOS

Thanx dusty for saying what I was thinking(and looking for) someone would say. If you enable the quiet boot option in your bios, you should not hear the beep, if thats your preference.

Good Luck!

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

Personally I like things that tell me whether my machine is working right or not. If I dont get that beep on boot I start to panic. luckily that has only happened to me one time over the years.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/194882