one click screensaver

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sparto

Hi

Re windows 98
I'm trying to set up two shortcut icons on the desktop to do the following:
1. With "one click" to turn a screensaver on so that if the mouse is moved accidentally whilst I am away from the computer the screensaver comes on again automatically after say three minutes.
2. With "one click" to turn a screensaver off so that the 3 minute timer is disengaged

I'm trying to do this in the "target box in the screensaver properties window"

Any help would be appreciated.

A shortcut would have to be clicked to restart the screensaver. If you are away from the computer, that won't happen. Also, if the mouse is accidentally moved and the computer is not used afterwards, the screensaver will automatically come on again after the set time.

Or you could set up a screensaver Password. The screensaver stays on until you enter the password to disengage it.
Resetting the timer has to be done manually.

A quick way to start a screensaver if you want to leave your desk and have it engage immedialtely is to find a screensaver, drag it to the quick launch toolbar while holding the right mouse button down. When you release the mouse button, choose Create Shorcut from the menu and a shortcut will be created. One click and that screensaver starts.

sparto

Thank you Mosaic1 for taking the time to respond to my screensaver problem.
I am trying to figure out a way to do this in the "target box in the screensaver properties window"
I will tell yo how far I've got and maybey you could fathom out how to finish this off.
1. I've dragged out the C:\windows\control.exe as a shortcut on to the desktop
2. I've right clicked and selected properties and in the target box have typed the following
C:\WINDOWS\CONTROL.EXE desk.cpl,,1
3. Now when I double click on this shortcut I get taken right up to the screensaver tab within the display properties box.
4. My question is: Is there also a command I can put in the target box to open say the Flying Through Space screensaver?
5. If I could do that I could then have a one click screensaver to activate the screensaver and have another to activate the (none) screensaver within the display properties box thus also activating the say 3 minute activation time.
6. I know I can download say Webshots.com screensaver prog that will do this but I want to try and do this in Windows 98.

I know this isn't an easy one but any help to solve this would be great
Kind regards
Sparto

I'm sorry. But no there really isn't. Using theshortcut to get to the page is the best you can do.

In fact, the apply button must be pressed for Windows to recognize this kind of a change. Otherwise you could make a reg file with the desired settings and enter it. This is one of those changes you cannot make with a one click solution. I've been asked this kind of question many times.

To start a screensaver immediately, use the method I pointed out before.

Don't change the screensaver page. And have a shortcut to activate a screensaver in your Quick Launch or desktop.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online