1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One Computer on LAN Very Slow to be Found/Accessed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by RonHen, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonHen

RonHen Thread Starter

One computer (named X4), on my network of 9 computers is very slow to be located or accessed by the other computers via Windows. This just recently (within the past two months) started happening.

All the other computers access each other fine and X4 can access them just fine but every access to X4 is slow (up to 5 minutes).

Under a Command prompt any computer can access X4 very quickly, and it can access them quickly as well. So it seems to be a problem in windows.

I am running a mixture of Vista and WINXP Pro with SP3 on the computers on the network. X4 is one of the WINXP SP3 computers. The other WINXP computers have no problems. So it seems to be computer specific and not OS specific.

I've switched the cabling around to other ports on the switch and swapped Net cards and cables. It doesn't seem to be a hardware issue. X4's hard drive is shared. I have made all of the computers members of the same Workgroup and have renamed X4 to other names to see if the name might be the problem, but it makes no difference.

In 'My Network Places', X4 shows up as 'X4 on EntireNetwork' even though it was set up as 'C on X4'. When clicked it brings up a folder titled 'Target' which when clicked launches the search for X4. It does seem to be searching the 'Entire Network' considering the amount of time it takes to be located.

Once it is located, the connection is only partly held as it takes another long pause to write to it. Again, access to it with a Command prompt command is immediate, whether it is read or write. Windows access is made but very slow.

I'd like to avoid reinstalling/updating WINXP and rebuilding this system if there is a reasonable fix. I don't seem to know was it is and would sincerely appreciate any help or suggestions.

Following is the system information on X4. Thanks, very much. Ron

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2200+, x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2559 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152588 MB, Free - 57644 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., A7V8X-X
    Antivirus: Norton AntiVirus, Updated: No, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice