1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One computer out of three on a network has VERY slow internet speed

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by shadedgrey63, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shadedgrey63

shadedgrey63 Thread Starter

Okay, this has been going on for weeks. Even my pretty techie bro is out of ideas. My brother returned to college not long ago, but he was still home when it all started. I'd asked him to see if internet was slow or anything, and he checked and told me it was fine. A few days later my dad brought his laptop home from work. The laptop is only on our network when he's doing stuff at home - but I asked him, and I was for myself it was completely fine...and fast. And as my brother's now back at college with his laptop, my computer is generally the only one on the network, but as it was going on before that, I know their laptops weren't effecting anything.

Now that we're done with the back-story, I'll do my best to explain what's going on: The connection on my computer is fine. Sometimes it'll short out, but generally it's good. However, it's always slow - about maybe 2 times faster than dial-up. But pretty often it becomes incredibly slow, taking as much as 20-30 minutes to load something, even simpler things.

That's the best I can come up with right now about the problem. Resetting the router and/or restarting the computer can help a little, but it eventually goes to near dial-up speed, then down to when it's very slow.

I guess something to add is that I'm the only one with Vista on the computer. My dad's laptop has XP, and my brother has a Mac laptop.

I've only used up a little less than 1/4 of the space on my hard drive. I have 2 GB of RAM, an AMD Athalon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.10 GHz, with a 32-bit Operating System. I only got it last Christmas: It's a Dell, whith Windows Vista Home Basic with Service Pack 1.

I hope this is enough, I put anything and everything I could think of up there. Any help at all will be appriciated so much. Thanks in advance!

Kate

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure I put this in the right forum...feel free to move it if you need to.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Type of internet access? Brand and model of modem? If router, brand and model?

Do you connect by USB, ethernet, wireless, ...?

What bandwidth are you supposed to be getting? And what do you get with a speed test such as Speakeasy ?

3. shadedgrey63

DSL (SDSL, I think), Speedstream (Speedstram 5200) - it came with our DSL, and Netgear (WGR614)

The connection is primarily all wireless.

And...the bandwidth that I'm supposes to be getting is 1 Mbps download, less upload. I got 596kbps download speed, and 311kbps upload speed on the test. And I can tell you that it's at one of it's faster points at the moment. Also, the network is secured, and both my dad and brother aren't currently on it (bro won't for quite a while), so we don't really need to worry about the sharing, I don't think.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Let's see if we can determine whether this is a wireless issue, or Netgear issue, or computer problem. How about trying the speed tests with an ethernet connection to the Netgear and with an ethernet connection directly to the Speedstream modem/router.

5. shadedgrey63

Okay, I did what you said, after much frustration bringing my desktop to near the router, and untangling a bunch of wires. I did the speed test again while directly connected by ethernet. The results are 1286kbps download, 312kbps upload. It's incredibly fast now - compared to how it's been anyway. So I guess that one's ruled out?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That makes it appear to be a wireless issue, since your wireless internet access is about 1/2 your ethernet.

Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router and the latest driver for your wireless adapter.

There could be wireless interference, especially from another wireless network or a 2.4 GHz cordless phone. Did you try the wireless connection when you had the PC close to the router?

7. shadedgrey63

Yeah, it was right next to it.

And I just had to call my bro about updating the router and my wireless adapter. Heh, I may need to bring down my experience level. I'll try to update everything in a bit.

EDIT: I tried connecting to the modem by ethernet last night, but it didn't seem to connect to the network at all. The modem is connected to the router, and I'm sure I used the right cord - as the other one was plugged into the phone jack; I used the one that originally connects to the router....

We got cordless phones last year, but we made absolutely sure that they wouldn't interfere. Plus, this problem only started a few weeks ago.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When switching the device connected to the modem you need to power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds or so) the modem. But since you get good results connected by ethernet to the router you don't really need to test with just the modem. We know the router is not at fault unless it is a problem with the wireless.

As regards experience, remember it has to be some kind of average. There is so much to computing that we are all raw novices in some, probably many, areas. :)

9. shadedgrey63

Well, I got all the updates, and it seemed a little faster while I was doing that last night; but it's still the way it's been...

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try TCP Optimizer . Make sure you have it save settings before it makes changes. I like also to set a System Restore Point before running it, although I have not had trouble; just like to play safe.

11. shadedgrey63

That didn't make a difference. =/ *sigh*

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry, I'm out of ideas.

13. shadedgrey63

I'm gonna try getting a new network adapter.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/747951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice