1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One computer wont show up in network neighborhood all of a sudden.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mychucky, Jun 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mychucky

mychucky Thread Starter

My home network 3 machines has been fine for a year.
    I have run Adware,PCillina, highjack this, and pest patrol.
    The system consists of a notebook was wireless but hardwired untill this is fixed.
    And two towers. All running Win2000 Sp4
    Notebook
    Stargate
    Fatmusic are the names

Everybody was in the "Workgroup"

Stargate has two nic cards and runs Winproxy so the other two and itself can surf.
    Everybody is surfing fine.
    Everybody can FTP into Stargate
    Everybody can ping Stargate

Fatmusic can be seen by notebook
    Notebook can see Fatmusic
    Stargate can be seen by Fatmusic.
    Fatmusic can see Stargate

Notebook cannot see stargate nor can stargate see notebook
    Notebook can ping stargate and get to the net through it.

When it used to do this I would unplug the wireless router and plug it back in and all would be fine.
    Last night that did not fix it.
    So I went hardwire "did not fix it.
    Went to the all hardwire switch "no wireless"

Any ideas
    Is everyone confused now.

2. Sponsor

3. neosage

neosage

I read an appropriate quote the other day in print:

"Networks were created by the Devil, so you would have to sell him your soul in order to get them to work"

Run the Network setup wizard on all pc's if win2000 has one (?).

My XP network falls over quite frequently; the network setup wizard is on my weekly list of maintenance tasks :cool:

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Don't think Windows2000 has a networking wizard.

Do you have static IP addresses for all the computers. Sometimes this helps with browsing.

You also might run "nbtstat -n" to see which computer is the browse master. It will show ..__MSBROWSE__.. At the end.

One other thing you can try is to simply add the IP address and computer name to your LMHOSTS file. Not the most elegant solution but with only three computers, you just need to create it once and then copy it to the other two.

5. mychucky

mychucky Thread Starter

Hey Bob,

a few hours after the post and a couple of reboots later Fatmusic stopped talking to stargate also and visa versa

It appears that I had netbuie on all of the other two computers and it DISSAPPEARED from Stargate. for some odd reason.

After putting it back on stargate all three computers talk to each other like they used to.

Go figure.

I noticed that "after searcing" in a past post you said that netbuie was not nessessary......but i been using it for a Looooong time and had to put it back to get these three guys to talk to each other.

Anyway thanks to all that read and to Bob that provided one answer. I'll just leave it with netbue running.

For those that are seeking an answer this very same prob lem, go to TCPIP properties or your nic card, and if you don't see netbue as a service, click add and pick it. Once you add it if it still don't work reset your router?switcher too. Sometimes it gets hosed too.

After adding netbuie last night It worked for 12 hours then stopped until I reset my wireless router. I just reset the routher and it is working again. In all fairness I have had to reset the routner/switch every two or three days since I had it so that is a different issue. Dling says they don't support a 514 router used as a switch.......

Once agian thatnks to all.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you need NetBEUI for your network to function, it is simply because there is something not configured correctly with TCP/IP. Just never have needed it on any computer in years.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/243990