1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One device limit after plugging modem/router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Sagatatia, Aug 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sagatatia

Sagatatia Thread Starter

Hey guys, I'm really hoping you can help me out. If possible please keep it simple. My brain is fried.

So I moved to Japan and dont speak a word of Japanese. I managed to wrangle a meeting and get a modem installed. They also added a router that I found in the apartment. It both worked after the two guys fiddled with the router physically.

My phone and tablet and ps4 were all connected and worked like a charm. I had to unplug both router and modem to put in a multiplug. After replugging both went on and only my ps4 connected. The phone and tablet go into a connecting ip loop. If I unplug router and modem and replug they connect to the first device and do loop with the remaining two.

Using static ip on my android devices shows them as connected but they cant go onto any websites or use online apps.

I have no pc or laptop and Im not sure how to hard reset

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the modem connected to the router's WAN port (not a LAN port)?

3. Sagatatia

Sagatatia Thread Starter

Hi there.

I'm assuming so. It is connected to a port labeled internet. The 3 lan ports are open.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does the device that successfully connect get your public IP address (182.150...) or a private IP address?

If public then the router is probably set to AP (Access Point) Mode or is defective.

If private then login to it and see if the Dhcp address space or Default Mask is set too low to allow more than one device.

5. Sagatatia

Sagatatia Thread Starter

How do I check and do any of that?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For iOS (iPhone or iPad) Settings - WiFi - the network to which you are connected - will show the IP address and Subnet Mask. Android is probably very similar. Have no clue about the game machine.

7. Sagatatia

Sagatatia Thread Starter

IP is starts with 203.222 so I'm guessing it is private? How do I log onto my router?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Wrong guess. :) That's your public IP address.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm having trouble understanding what could have happened with the router between when it was working for you and when you plugged it back in. The only thing that makes sense to me is that it coincidentally became defective at that time.

10. Sagatatia

Sagatatia Thread Starter

I find that really weird too. Should I get a new router? And if so, do I just have to plug it in for it to work or do I need the isp guys to do something?

11. Sagatatia

Sagatatia Thread Starter

Sorry for the double post, just have to make sure you see this: I got it working by, believe it or not, putting the router back into the original wall socket. So happy now. Thanks for all the assistance good sir. No idea why it works though but it does

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Japan is mysterious! Must have been some strange electrical interference that we'll never understand.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1153403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice