1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One fault or many?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cailan, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cailan

Cailan Thread Starter

Hello all,

The Problem

My computer started getting visual distortions on screen about a month ago. by this i mean horizontal bars of colour every couple inches all over the screen. I "fixed" this by getting rid of the dust and leaving the side panel off, as i thought the GPU was overheating.
    Seemed to work for a while, however at the beginning of this week it started doing it again with the added bonus of an occasional Blue Screen stating memory parity errors.
    The truely wierd thing is: it will run fine for hours if not days at a time but then the next time i use it theres a near instant fault. Played MW2 yesterday for about 5 hours and it was fine. 5 mins into a game today and i get the graphic errors followed by parity error.

The Computer

This beast is getting rather old, its a Dell Dimension DIM4700, but ive upgraded it a few times. It has 2GHz of ram, a Geforce 8800 GTS 512 GPU, a 2nd dvd player and a 530W PSU.

The Suspicion

Well the graphics card, memory and power supply are less than a year old so im hoping they arent the culprit here. Im not exactly tech savvy tho so feel free to tell me its one of those and make it a cheap fix for me ;) . However i have a suspicion it might be the motherboard.

so anyone have a clue whats going on with this machine? is one part or every part faulty?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/878800

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice