1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

one IDE connector.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by plschwartz, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plschwartz

plschwartz Thread Starter

Me bad. Bought a new cheap MB (Biostar tforce 550) which has only one IDE connector.
    But I want to connect an optical drive and a spare IDE HD.
    I remember that using one IDE cable for the two could cause problems, and a hit in performance.
    The first I think can be corrected by putting the HD first. But how big is the performance hit?
    Does it only occur when using the optical drive?
    Thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, most [however not all] modern mb have only 1 ide channel. That is normal since the mfg assumes you would be using sata for you hd. Even if you bought a quality mb, it most likely would come with 1 ide connection on the board.

Next the assumption that you will loose performance is a myth. All modern boards can run each device at it rated speed. This used to be true back years and years ago with boards that ran pio mode only. So to repeat you will not loose any performance.

I would connect the hd as the master device and connect the optical as the slave on the ide channel. Make sure you pay attention to jumper settings; some hd have different settings depending on whether it is the master OR master with multiple drives.

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I donno, I don't think I would say myth. I think I would say outdated fact. But yes what your conveying I agree with 100% :)

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, I guess myth is the wrong word. Outdated would be a better choice. The "Myth" remains to this day that you will loose performance connecting in this manner.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Here here! I'll drink to that statement... I know its early but I am celebrating finding a new job and the fact i am gonna be worthless where I work for 2 weeks (just kidding of course, right now on the phone helping someone setup their E-Mail).

6. plschwartz

plschwartz Thread Starter

Thanks guys :)

I am certainly happy that I was outdated
    Now I can finish off building the puter.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/506655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice