1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One internet connection and 2 networks question or suggestion

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Kenk_1998, Jul 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kenk_1998

Kenk_1998 Thread Starter

I have one office and one internet line. I have two networks. I am trying to think of a way to connect both networks up to the one Internet line but keep the networks inaccessible and invisible to each other. So far I have come up with this configuration.

Internet into a router. One line out of the router to a switch for one network and another line to another Router to the other network. Each network would have separate DHCP servers this way and not be accessible to each other.

Anyone try this?
    Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think you may have issues with this scheme, since the router for at least one of the networks would be on a different subnet. There is one thing that someone here or somewhere else did that actually worked, though I would have never thought of it.

Connect one network to the broadband router just like normal. One LAN port of the that broadband router feeds into the WAN port of a second broadband router. Both networks are on private IP address ranges, say 192.x.x.x. Since that address is not routable, the two networks are invisible to each other, but the other Internet traffic continues to go through. It was claimed to work, though I've never studied it enough to know if that's true.

3. Kenk_1998

Kenk_1998 Thread Starter

I tried your suggestion John but I couldn't get to the internet.

I am trying to separate 2 networks and use one internet connection. But if I could share a folder and keep some people out that would also take care of my problem.

On the one network I have 3 win9x pc's. On the other I have five XP pc's. I have some folders on NETA that I want to protect from NETB.

But XP doesn't have much security in a peer to peer network. When you goto network neighborhood and look at 'Entire" network....you can just go into the other network and get into any shared folder..........and I can't stop it.

I guess they will have to get another internet and I will just have to set up another network. I just can see any other way.

I can't figure out why, when I have the second Router connected to the first Router it can't get to the internet.

Any ideas anyone?

4. JohnWill

Actually, XP has sufficient security, you just have to setup the users correctly. I can assure you that you can block access to anything on the XP machines from the W9X machines with proper settings. Securing the W9X machines on the network could be a larger issue, but you could always consider upgrading them to XP...

5. Kenk_1998

Kenk_1998 Thread Starter

Thanks John for the reply.....I don't care about securing the win9x machines....Just the XP machines. I would like to set it up so that I can keep certain machines out. I would just like to control the access to certain XP machines. The problem is I have a couple of folders that need to be accessed but several users on the peer to peer network. When I make them shared I can't figure out how to contrl the access....seems like anyone can get to them and I don't see how to control that in XP...........I was looking in this XP Bible I have but haven't seen anything yet.......Does anyone know where I may get info on this? Or maybe any ideas on how to accomplish this?........It just doesn't seem that complicated but I haven't figured it out. I have done it in WIN2K.....but the security is different.

Thanks

6. JohnWill

You need to setup accounts on the XP machines with various privileges. For the W9x machines, you could have an account with limited share privileges to just a couple of directories on the XP machines. For the XP accounts, you can give them whatever privileges you need.

When you do the actual sharing, you need to set the permissions there for various users or groups. My Computer, right click on the resource to be shared, Sharing, and click the Permissions button. You can control access to the share there.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/148859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice