1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One Laptop Connects to the Internet But The Other One Won't.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dark_scorpion, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dark_scorpion

dark_scorpion Thread Starter

I will try to explain the problem I'm having, and the solutions I've tried(none of which work). First, a little background. I'm an expat living in a foreign country. Internet is very important for me here as without it I can't do any business or make any money. Having said that, I have two laptops, the one I'm typing this message on, which uses Windows 7, and an older laptop(backup) that uses Windows Vista.

Starting the other day, the Windows Vista laptop will no longer connect to the wireless internet. Up until the other day, both computers connected fine. Periodically, the connection dropped because this isn't a first world country and the internet isn't totally reliable. But now the Windows 7 computer connects but the other will not. Here are the things I've tried:

1. I reformated the harddrive because I thought it might be a virus or malware.
    2. I downloaded the latest device drivers for the network adapter.
    3. I've tried to automatically get new IP settings
    4. I've tried resetting the network adapter
    5. I've tried disabling antivirus to see if that was causing the problem
    6. I've tried removing/readding the wireless connection under network manager

Despite trying the 6 things above, I've been unable to solve this annoying problem. I thought it might be the ISP but I've ruled this out because my other laptop(this one) can connect to the net. Windows Vista says there is no problem with the wireless network adapter. This is also the second time this has happened with the Windows Vista laptop, the first time it dropped and I tried everything, finally gave up for the time being, then it suddenly reconnected. Now it has been down for over 24 hours and it looks like it may never connect. It is dangerous depending on a single computer to access the Internet here because if this computer is damaged then I have no access at all. I need both computers online, if this is a problem with the ISP then there is nothing I can do but I need to figure that out. Finally, the windows network diagnostic always tells me to "reset the modem." This is impossible as I'm renting an apartment where wireless internet is included in the rent. There is no modem available for me to reset. Also, calling the ISP is useless as the internet is included in this apartment and my name is not on the bill, plus it is unlikely they speak much English so trying to get tech support from the local ISP is worthless.

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    So I'm guessing the wireless is provided by the people that own the building? So you don't have a router in your room? Do you have ethernet ports in your room to where you can take a cable and plug it into your laptop and into the wall to where you can get internet?

Go the the start icon in the left hand corner, in the search space type cmd and click enter. In the black box that pops up, type ipconfig /all. Report the results.

3. dark_scorpion

Yes, the wireless is offered by the landlord, so no router in the room. I'm not sure if there are ethernet ports but I don't have an ethernet cable even if there are. Below are the CMD details you requested:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\Users\Mastermind>ipconfig /all
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mastermind-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-3A-41-C8-E5
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d5dc:8783:bacb:57f%11(Preferred)
    Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.5.127(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet
    NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-EC-15-D4-72
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{9BE6BB9F-0D47-416A-9B41-D6142C040
    93C}
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{11E0FDEF-086B-47EC-BA8B-CDE63273F
    F4A}
    Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 16:
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter
    Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
    C:\Users\Mastermind>

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What, if any, encryption?

I realize you cannot fiddle with the router, but the drivers part of the following is still relevant ...

The following was put together mostly by etaf with a little help from me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Atheros Wireless Adapter - AR5007EG & AR5007
    Over the last three or so years we have been seeing a lot of problems with the above adapters, mainly concerning WPA and WPA2 encryption and mainly on windows Vista.
    We have seen just a couple of issues on other windows operating system, windows XP and windows 7.

Windows XP:- A driver update has resolved the issue
    Windows 7 :- No conclusive results for a fix

The wireless adapter gets an IP configuration, and shows as connected, but communication is non-existent or sporadic.

Log into the Router and disable the wireless security and see if you are now able to connect to the internet and surf OK.
    Please post back a reply here, and let us know if that works or does not work.
    If you post back the make and exact model of the router - we can advise how to disable the wireless security

Here are a number of possible solutions

--- 1) In Device Manager right click on the wireless adapter and "update driver."

--- 2) Download and install the latest wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site support section,

If you post a reply here with the Make and EXACT model of your PC, along with the windows version you are running. we will see if we can find a link to the driver and will post a reply with the link here.

--- 3) On one occasion re-setting the router back to factory default and re-configuring the router settings has resolved the issue

--- 4) The majority of members, have now used the drivers from the atheros driver site, which has resolved the issue.
    - see below for direct links for windows vista and the link for all Atheros adapters and supported operating systems

AR5007
    Vista 32 / 64 Bit
    Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007 and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
    You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

AR5007EG
    Vista 32 / 64 Bit
    Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007EG and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
    You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

Drivers for the other windows operating system
    http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php
    You need to look down the page for your particular adapter model and then look across the columns to find your windows version.
    Now click on the blue tick mark in the column under your windows version.
    This will open another page for that particular adapter and that windows version.

Now click on the download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

Assuming that after all the above the wireless still does not connect to the internet, all I can suggest is to use wireless security of WEP or to get an external USB wireless card.

Please post a reply here , and keep us informed of the situation and how you finally resolved the issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I would trust terrynet on what he is saying. I haven't seen these problems or experienced them, so I wouldn't know. It is definitely a possibility, as you have no default gateway, meaning that you are unable to reach the router, and you have an IP address starting with 169, meaning the DHCP server feature of the router isn't assigning you an address. Let us know if what terrynet suggested solves your problem.

6. dark_scorpion

The encryption is WPA2. Bear in mind this computer was working fine just four days ago, the problems just started the other day out of the blue. Below are my specs:

Windows Vista Home Premium
    Service Pack 1

System
    Manufacturer - Hewlett-Packard
    Model - Compaq Presario C700 Notebook PC
    Rating - 3.1 Windows Experience Index
    Ram - 2 gigabytes
    Processor - Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz 1.73GHz

Okay, above you link to two Atheros drivers, AR5007 and AR5007EG. Which one should I download and install? Resetting the router is simply not possible because I don't have access to it. So hopefully this problem can be solved by updating the correct drivers. Let me know if you guys need any more info.

7. dark_scorpion

I see, I need the AR5007 driver as that is the network adapter my laptop uses. Downloading now, will let you know if it works.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know which driver will work, but for the adapter look in your ipconfig /all:

9. dark_scorpion

How do I install this AR5007 driver? It comes in a zip file that contains a bunch of files that Windows Vista doesn't seem to recognize, there are no programs on my Vista computer than can even open the files in the driver folder. Normally when you download drivers there is an install icon or setup icon that you double click on and then the program installs. This AR5007 driver
    doesn't have a set up, just a bunch of files that Vista will open but there is no installation process.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Extract the files. Then in Device Manager right click on the adapter - Update driver - and browse to the (extracted) folder that contains the appropriate .inf file.

11. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    http://download.cnet.com/7-Zip/3000-2250_4-10045185.html

That's 7-zip. It's a program that allows you to extract the files, as terrynet mentions and then follow his directions. You should have a program that can handle zip files, but if not download 7-zip, or any of the other programs that are farther down on that page.

12. dark_scorpion

Windows was able to install the new AR5007 driver. Unfortunately, after shutting down and restarting the computer I am still unable to access the internet.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You've now tried possible solutions 1, 2 and 4 from post # 4?

Another thing to try in your case is to delete the wireless profile and then scan for the network and try to connect.

14. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    If you are unsure of what terrynet is referring to, then go to the start icon in the bottom left hand corner, click control panel, under network and security click view network status and tasks. Then, on the left hand side, click manage wireless networks. Find the network you are trying to connect to, left click on it, and then at the top click remove. This will remove this wireless network profile from your computer. Then, go back to the previous screen where you selected "manage wireless networks" (this screen is the network and sharing center) and select connect to a network. Look for the wireless network that you just removed from your profile and reconnect to it, making sure to provide the proper credentials if needed.

15. dark_scorpion

I tried removing and re-adding the network this morning, but to no avail. I'm really stumped at this point, I don't know what to do. The internet on that laptop was working fine just 4 days ago, just don't understand how it can suddenly begin having connection issues out of the blue. Do you guys have any other ideas, or am I just out of luck?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice