One last try- jpeg recovery programs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

2talll

Before I blow up my old laptop and make it a $1,500 picture frame slash stereo I thought I'd give it one more try to recover the pictures that disappeared when I was transferring data to my new laptop. THe biggest problem I had the last time I tried was I didn't have an external hard drive so the only programs I could use were ones that allowed me to recover data to the same drive as it was being recovered from- which limited me to only one or two programs.

Any good programs you'd suggest?
THanks

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
If you have recovered to the same drive, you will almost certainly have overwritten many 'deleted' files.
Try PC Inspector File Recovery (free, and downloaded from http://www.convar.com )

2talll

I kinda figured it was pretty much hopeless, but I figured I'd at least try one more time. Thought it worked when I saw some pictures pop up using Recover My Photos, but they were pictures that I deleted once they were transferred successfully to my new laptop. Amazing how files that were "permanently deleted" can be recovered but files that the computer "lost" can't be even though they were "lost" well after the recovered ones were deleted. UGH!

Try Restoration. Download and run off of a floppy. Might turn up something of value.

Read the Readme.txt file. When you open it, make sure it is set to the correct drive (C:\ is default). Click the Search Deleted Files Button. It takes just a little time for that. Then when Do you want to scan vacant clusters? comes up, click Yes. This takes a long time. Don't touch anything until it finishes. Then look for your files among the list. If they don't show up - they are gone.

ftp://ftp.externet.hu/pub/mirror/sac/utildisk/rest2514.exe

sekirt

2talll

Wish I waited for you response and your program- Restore My Photos took 8 hours and when I tried to recover a photo I found it wouldn't let me unless I paid for the full program.

I just don't get it- although I couldn't save anything from the program it's mind-boggling that it recovered photos and other files that were permanently deleted (some of which were deleted straight off memory cards) years ago but the folder with the majority of the pics that I want just vanished off the face of the Earth.

2talll

Well, good news and bad news. It looks like I found the pictures (at least the folder they were in originally because the names are all familiar) but when I try to copy the folder to my external hard drive it freezes up when it gets to the "thumbs.db" file. It's been showing the hour glass at 81% complete for over 10 minutes as soon as the thumbs file came up. Any way to repair or remove the thumbs file? I know that when I had a similiar problem with a thumbs file in the past (the thumbnails weren't matching the actual picture) I could just delete it and it wold be recreated)?

Also found another folder with the same name and when it was being copied it showed all the file names but when it was complete the folder was empty. Any ideas why?

Image files are hard to recover...don't know exactly why. This applies to any file. The filenames are stored in FAT while the file is somewhere on your hard drive. The name can be "intact" but the file may be either already written over to the point that it can't be recovered. Or it may have been fragmented and only bits of it can be recovered. It can be crosslinked with another file. Which basically means, no matter what you recover, it will be gibberish.

sekirt

2talll

That's the weird thing- I have totally intact pictures that were deleted ON PURPOSE way back in 2002 that are being recovered completely intact. Yet, the pictures that disappeared were the newest pictures on the computer but they vanished.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the thumbs file. I've copied all the pictures to my external hard drive- and I'm holding slight hope that I'll be able to opne them with one program or another on my "good" laptop.

2talll

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I THINK I found them, but now the problem is that they seem to be corrupt. The size is right but they won't open. I guess my net step is too search for something to "repair" currupt files and see if I can fix any of them.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online