1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One little problem moving to WinMe from 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by SGtheArtist, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SGtheArtist

SGtheArtist Thread Starter

I've been in the process of making the move to Windows Me over the last couple of weeks testing and ironing out whether or not things I used on 98 would work in Me and so now I'm down to my last problem. I have established that my modem (An ISA V.90 56K Voice modem w/fax internal w/Rockwell 5614Jx(G) drivers), which works fine in 98 acquires a small problem with Windows Me. Also, the phone line is routed through the modem before being connect to the phone. Now let me clarify, I have eliminated the possibility of software issues, driver issues, and motherboard setting issues. So I know it lies in somewhere with Windows Me, now to the problem, whenever i receive an incoming call & my computer is on (but not on the internet, I only have one phone line.) when I answer the phone my computer / modem kicks in and begins to try and communicate as if it was trying to send a fax or connect to the internet, and therefore interupts the phone call. This problem does not occur when I make a call however.

When I try and install my modem after a clean format and install for WinMe onto the HDD WinMe cannot detect the modem however if I install the driver and go to the diagnoistic properties to see if the device is working properly it says that it is with no problems, which is semi-true because I have no problems connecting to the internet, which means that the modem is working fine. Soooo, my question is what should I do now to try and find a solution to this problem?

P.S. I have a second computer, which has WinMe and while on does not present this problem nor trigger it for this computer. I also have Call Notes, however I do not believe this is to blame either. The reason I have eliminated these from the possible causes is because this environment existed before my move towards WinMe and while using 98 I did not encounter this problem.

Thanks for everyones input and help.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

If it was a good modem it would work right on Win9x as on WinMe. Get a new modem.

3. SGtheArtist

Well if I had the funds to replace a component everytime something didn't work than I would, but I can't.

4. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

hiya SG .. An incoming call puts different conditions on the line to an outgoing one thats why its ok when you make an outgoing call,to me it looks as if the fact you have the phone line going into the modem before it reaches the phone is somehow the culprit here,is it ok without the phone connected?...Bob

5. slipe

slipe

I don’t think it is necessarily hardware. There has to be software on the computer that is intercepting calls. You might have loaded it along with the modem driver. Fax/voice modems often come with communications programs that will answer the phone.

I don’t have ME but the communications might have a standby mode. It could be something as simple as “wait for a call” being active in HyperTerminal. Go through your Accessories>Communication folders and check all of the settings.

Have you checked for new drivers for the modem?

I think you have it hooked up correctly – every modem I have ever had works like you have it.

6. SGtheArtist

!UPDATE!

Well, I have since reformatted and reinstalled Windows Me and at that point did Not install any software or device drivers (Windows Me may have), I check for the problem at this point and it did exist. So this eliminates the possiblility of it being a driver issue (Also I had previously installed updated drivers with no effect). After this test, I disconnected the phone from the computer so that the computer did not have the phone running through it and then restarted the computer. I then tested for the problem again and it was still present. This leaves only 2 things the Windows Me OS or the modem itself, because everything worked under 98.

P.S. I also checked the hyperterminal and I didn't have it installed so that eliminates that.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated as are all who have posted so far.

7. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Don't connect your phone through the modem. Get a splitter to connect at the jack, and run two lines out of it.

8. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:cool: Greetings SG,

Have you tried unistalling the Call Notes? It is possible that this program might not get along with Windows ME very well but had a good relationship with W98. Just a thought. KW1

9. SGtheArtist

Max19 > I tried that with no success

kilowatt1 > Unfortunately Call Notes is a phone service which my phone company provides, not a software program. It is simple an answering service that takes messages while I am on the phone.

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do a ctrl-alt-del and see what you have running.

Also, take a look at your config.sys and autoexec.bat files for any TSR programs that may be starting from Dos. Start button, run, then type sysedit and press ok......look at those two tabs.

11. SGtheArtist

When I Ctrl-Alt-Del the only things running are Explorer and SystemTray

And as for config.sys and autoexec.bat there was nothing with TSR in it.

Also evidently in Windows Me there is no sysedit file/program because I couldn't find it even searching the hard drive with the Ctrl-F command.

Any other suggestions, I'm open to anything that hasn't been suggested already.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice