1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One long beep, two short beeps on boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tkyeo, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tkyeo

tkyeo Thread Starter

Hey, I have a problem with my laptop...it won't boot up; as soon as I try, I get 1 long beep, followed by 2 shorter beeps. There is no display on my monitor either.

I'm really stuck at to what to do...I've done the usual taking out battery, booting without power supply, letting lappy heat up, removed and reinserted both RAM slots, checked the fan was working okay, tried to boot using a different monitor (acted as if PC was on standby)...all to no avail.

My laptop model is:
    http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/laptop/5401.htm

It's about 16 months old, so past its warranty, I read that the beep pattern was a BIOS code for Video Card failure, which I now presume is the problem, but just wanted confirmation so I don't end up wasting a bomb of money if I need to get it repaired (diagnosis usually costs at least £50 here :s)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, unfotunately I'm no pro with these things...

Thanks!

2. Megabite

Megabite

Could be Display adapter problem

Try starting in safeMode and see if you can get a display

How to Start in Safemode

1. Restart your computer.
    2. Before the windows logo you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
    3. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
    4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
    5. Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode..

3. tkyeo

tkyeo Thread Starter

Thanks for such a fast response.
    However, when I boot, there is absolutely no picture; just a blank screen; same result when I tap f8 to go into menu.

4. Megabite

Megabite

It could be your integrated Video card has failed

5. tkyeo

tkyeo Thread Starter

Any other options? I did just hear the windows start up sound, and pressing keys gave the 'invalid key' sound...but I guess that has nothing to do with Video Card?

Edit: Any easy(ish) way I can test my Video Card?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/902102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice