1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One monitor magically turns to three.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by K-16, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. K-16

K-16 Thread Starter

I've recently switched video cards from a GeForce 2 MX to a GeForce 4 MX and did a fresh install (uninstall and reinstall) of the same drivers (Omega). The problem is, my computer is convinced that I have three monitors, when I only have one. Even when I try to remove the clones from the device manager, Windows (98 SE) keeps detecting it to bring it back (for the fun of it, I changed the two "Default Monitors" to use my Samsung drivers). I'm trying to see if the NVidia drivers have any settings to turn off for something along the lines of "multiple monitor support," but I can't seem to find any.

Here's a link to show you what I mean.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you remove ALL the monitors and reboot?

3. K-16

K-16 Thread Starter

That was my first act to deal with this issue. And no that didn't work as all three returned. I'm assuming the only way to "remove" the monitors are to simply delete their entries on the device manager. Interestingly enough, the first-party drivers (Samsung) do not have an entry in the add/remove programs.

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi K-16
    Did you remove the ghost devices while in Safe Mode?

5. K-16

K-16 Thread Starter

Ok now I'm stuck with two. After removing all three again without using safe mode, only two returned (both as default monitor, but I changed them to my Samsung drivers). I'm going to assume I removed two instead of three last time and that I need to get my head examined. That said, I tried safe mode just now with no luck. Two monitors returned. I'm assuming one monitor is a fake. I still think it's the NVidia driver, but I don't know where the option is to disable whatever is causing this.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What exactly does it say for the two monitors? The reason I ask is my nVidia dual monitor setup actually displays four, like this:

Attached Files:

7. K-16

K-16 Thread Starter

The one on the right is the safe mode version. And for the record, the safe mode version has the bottom two as "Default Monitor" while the one on the left has both as "Default Monitor" before I made the driver change. I suppose I could be stuck with two monitors if NVidia does not have an option to disable multi-monitor setups.

8. kronus

kronus

You could always just uncheck the "extend my desktop onto this monitor" in the windows native display properties. I'm somewhat certain that the nVidia driver automatically sets up dual monitor support and that extra monitor appears whether you have a monitor or not. It's basically just detecting a dual head video card.

9. K-16

K-16 Thread Starter

Well the main monitor selection has that option checked and grayed out, while the other selection already is unchecked. Should I start thinking that this is a feature and not an issue at all whatsoever?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice